Re: Of Facts and Fiction

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Gregory Matteson <matteson@ccnet.com>
subject Re: Of Facts and Fiction
date Thu, 01 Aug 1996 21:48:45 -0700
At 10:30 PM 7/31/96 -0700, you wrote:
(Major snipping for brevity)  I try to look them up in 101, but
>>>am finding it difficult...
>>        The two places I was referring to are answer #62 says She was
>>seriously damaged, answer #66 goes into a several sentence long thing about
>>how She was near the end of her lifespan, and decided to regenerate because
>>Ryo-ohki #2 would be more evolved. (I am paraphrasing to avoid quoting).
>>        Now, I don't doubt that you can maintain that the second bit is
>>merely an elaboration: But I do doubt that these answers were connected in
>>the minds of the answerers.  If the whole thing is laid out, it really
>>doesn't make one picture.
>
>Greg, you should really try to read more carefully.  Yes, question 62 does
>mention that Ryoohki was badly damaged after the battle with Ryuoh.  But
>does question 66 ask?  "What happened to Ryoohki in the battle with Kagato?"
>
>See, they are complete unrelated.  Ryoohki was hardly hurt during the battle
>with Kagato (Souja), NOT the same case with Ryuoh.  There's nothing wrong
>with the English translation (I have it, too).  I supposed you were confused
>because it still mentions Ryuoh.  It does state that the Ryuoh was beneath
>Ryoohki, I guess this caused you to think of how when they were crashing to
>earth, Ryoohki "pinned down" Ryuoh beneath her.  Think carefully now--Where
>was Ryuoh when Ryoohki was used to attack Kagato?  It had to be right
>beneath Ryoohki, because Tenchi transported to it and used its Light Hawk
>Wings to attack Kagato.  If the Ryuoh was still in the lake, and not right
>beneath Ryoohki, it would be pointless for Tenchi to go to the bride of the
>Ryuoh.
>
>When the Souja's energy blast nearly killed Tenchi, Ryoohki was hardly hurt,
>because the blast basically destroyed the Ryuoh, and a bit of the lower
>parts of Ryoohki; this, to Ryoohki, was not a whole lot of damage.
>
>(The previous paragraph would be a rough summary of the answer to question
>66 in 101).

        You are having more trouble with your copy of the file than you
think you are, the above only paraphrases about half of answer # 66.  We
will get nowhere with this if we aren't looking at the same material.  I
assure you I am not confused about what it says, and it has about 5
sentences of elaboration about Ryo-ohki #1's "decision" to regenerate.  If
you havn't got that we are working from different texts.

>>        We could go on like this indefinately, and you could probably
>>explain adequately every problem I could raise, but you would be shooting
>>yourself in the foot.
>
>But so far it looks more like you're shooting yourself in the foot...  ;p

        Considering you've admitted to a major problem with the conceptual
structure of the text.

>>Actually, almost all the time, the people
>>quoting the 101 Facts have shown intelegent restraint in not trying to push
>>the myriad exotic details on us.
>
>I do so in my own postings because I know there are people out there who
>don't think 101 is valid.
>
>>        BTW: The bootleg file copies that were passed to me were formatted
>>on some system which includes code that is illegal in MS Windows. Hence, no
>>Windows program will display them. I have to look at it in DOS edit, which
>>will tolerate illegal code,(though how any human can make use of what is
>>displayed in edit to represent hex and binary code is beyond me).  I wonder,
>>since Glenn is evidently unable to search his text, if this is a common
>>problem with the file?
>
>Are you sure your copy wasn't just in HTML codes?  I had a problem searching
>for the specifics you mentioned because 101 questions is a lot of ground to
>cover, and I didn't do a text search from within an editor, so all I could
>do was to skim through the questions.

        Give me a break!  First, HTML is Windows compatable(it is all ascii
code, after all! Second I have checked closely, there is lots of illegal
binary code in the formatting areas of the file. In DOS EDIT display, non
text code includes a lot of those flaky IBM character set things like spades
and hearts.

>In your mentioning of the Ryoohki inconsistency, I have noticed question 62,
>but was unable to find an instance where it mentioned that the first gen
>Ryoohki was not really hurt during the battle with Ryuoh,

This is backwards from what I said, 62 asserts that Ryo-ohki was badly damaged.

> although I have
>noticed question 66, I dismissed it immediately because it was talking about
>a different battle, and the Ryoohki involved was also different.

        Are you admitting you didn't check it out?  From your paraphrase,
one would think you did, and don't have the same text I do.

>Glenn Wang <brief@ix.netcom.com>  http://www.netcom.com/~brief/

                                Greg M.

Search field Search string

archive list