Re: New Tenchi Web page

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
cc tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Victor Laking <vl@MBnet.MB.CA>
subject Re: New Tenchi Web page
date Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:03:52 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Brian (Sage) wrote:

> Ok, well.  As for this page there is nothing "wrong" with it, but there are
> still some problems. Your HTML programing is so bad.  Stop using <P> </P>.
> If you want a space, use a <BR>.  Also, there is no such thing as a </BR>,
> so remove them.  Also, you do not need to have <BODY> then <BODY
> What does it do?

PREformatting text so that the browser won't try to "justify" it or use
word-wrap for short lines.

One example where it might be useful is for something like:

                                  Company Name
                                  123-1024 Generic Street
                                  Anyplace, AP
                                  Anywhere

be turned into:

Company Name 123-1024 Generic Street Anyplace, AP Anywhere

This isn't quite as orgainzed or easy to read.

> Also, use <STRONG></STRONG>, not <B></B>.

Since <STRONG>...</STRONG> is not actually interpreted the same by all
browsers it is sometimes best to specify EXACTLY what you want.  Unless
you want it to be italicized in some browsers, bold in others and bold &
italicized in yet another it is sometimes best to not use
<STRONG>...</STRONG>.  (As a note - STRONG is *usually* displayed as bold.)

> Another thing
> you should do is add HEIGHT & WIDTH atributes to your pictures.

Personally I try to avoid the Netscape-only commands such as the above.
However, since the above are just ignored by the browsers that I have
tried it won't do any real harm to use them.  (It will just mean that the
pages won't look the same with other browsers but that is not unusual...)

> The page is not done perfectley, but it's not done horribley eather.  If
> this is your first attempt then you did a good job.

Tell me about it!  I have seem supposed "professionals" repeatedly make
the same mistakes which cause their pages to not be useable except by the
one browser that they prefer.  Usually the ones that I am thinking about
are definate mistakes (such as not using an </A> at the end of a link)
that just happen to be ignored by their browser.  Then there are the
browser-specific commands...  ;)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited