Re: Help me with HTML [NOISE]

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Tomar <tomar@ames.net>
subject Re: Help me with HTML [NOISE]
date Fri, 03 Oct 1997 00:22:55 -0500
Tenchi ML,

Uh oh...how did the OS thing start up again? ^_^;;;

At 03:26 PM 10/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Rostislav V. Lyudmirsky said:
>:On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Mako wrote:
>:
>:> Yes, UNIX is cool, and I do agree that it has a heads up on WindowsNT.
>:> Guess I am just biased towards NT cuz that's what I work with at work.
>:
>:I guess the way to go is combining the best of two Graphical technology of
>:NT, and kernel of Unix, throw in a mach layer and you've got...........
>:a NeXT OS. ^_^ But seriously, I think NT will eventually use lot of Unix
>:technology.
>
>    Actually, NT uses a lot of VMS (M$ having bought key developers
>    from DEC helped when implementing traditionally non-Unix things
>    like clustering).
>
>    I'll wait for Rhapsody, thank you.  ^_^

Are you sure Apple will stay afloat long enough to come through
on that product?  ^_^;

>:> UNIX was created for the military... so it can't be all that bad.
>:> (Semper Fi!)
>:
>:No, UNIX was never created for military, it was created by folks at the
>:Bell labs (AT&T) and ever since was updated by the educational
>:institutions. The reason UNIX is so popular is /not/ because it is
>:the greatest OS (although it is one of the best), but because it is
>:available for free, it's source code is freely available and anyone is
>:allowed to modify it.
>
>    Not necessarily true, depending on the source code.

Correct!  After all, I can not get the source code to
IRIX 6.4 or Sun OS 2.5.1.

>:Another reason is because in 70's this OS was
>:freely given to many universities and a whole generation of computer
>:scientists have learned UNIX at school and naturally prefered to use it
>:when they started working.
>
>    Unfortunately, many of these computer scientists are stuck with
>    the command-line mentality, and tend to freak out easily with
>    present-day GUI OSes like MacOS.

Command lines are powerful tools.  So are GUIed programs.
The trick is find the middle ground.  I frown upon Macs
because of the fact they frown upon command line interfaces.

>:BTW, in the beginning (as in first 20 years)
>:UNIX did have loads of bugs and security holes. So don't be too harsh on
>:NT.
>
>    Yesterday, Unix was doing things that most OSes of the time did
>    not and could not do.  Today, the only thing that NT can do that
>    Unix can't is play various Win32 games.  NT is not innovative
>    for its time, and its undeserved popularity as a server OS is
>    inversely proportional to its stability, reliability, and
>    robustness.

At this point, it doesn't matter if NT is a piece of crap.
It just needs to be a little more reliable than Win95. ^_^
The machines that run it are too cheap!  For the price of
a full blown Sun SPARCServer, you can buy a bunch of medium
quality Pentiums and have your data served from them.
The cost difference for between UNIX machines and NT machines
is getting so bad that making not-so-mission critical tasks
on a UNIX machine is a waste of money.

>:I'm a graduating senior in CompSci at the Cal State University, so I know
>:a few things about Unix.

The question is, does the original poster know anything
about Mac OS or NT?  ^_^;;;;

Plus, I haven't touched the thing I can't forgive Microsoft

Tomar
aka tomar@ames.net

Search field Search string

archive list