Re: Hair & hare? A question.

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from tomar@iastate.edu
subject Re: Hair & hare? A question.
date Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:00:40 -0500
Tenchi ML,

Gregory Matteson <matteson@ccnet.com> said:
>At 07:15 PM 6/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Gregory Matteson said:
>>>
>>>         Yes, Funaho is Yosho's ship, (named after his mother B-)), she is
>>> also the tree of the Masaki shrine, a sentient being, and Ryoko's jailor/
>>> confidant for 700 years.
>>
>>    Are Jurai trees sentient beings?  If they are, then they have a
>>    *long* way to go with regard to personality and individuality.
>
>You've got that right, but after all, they aren't human.  As to
>individuality, they are all intimately connected to Tsunami.

I have yet to observe evidence either way.  The Jurains talk as if
they can actively communicate with their space trees.  This doesn't
nessisarily imply sentient.  On the other hand, if they are
higher dimensional beings and this is their only way they can
communicate with them, then we lower beings may have a hard time
trying to figure them out.  Thank Goddess Tsunami merged with
Sasami. ^_^

>>> If you look in OVA #1, near the end of the scene
>>> in Ryoko's cave, just as Tenchi bolted; in freeze-frame you will discover
>>> that the true way that Ryoko was held is that Funaho set up a hyperspace
>>> pocket to hold her,
>>
>>    Not sure about this.  Evidence?
>>
>Absolutely!  The water in those maze-like channels is flowing very slowly if
>at all, though Tenchi slips and moves like the entry shaft is at about a 45
>degree angle.  Space, gravity and perspective are grossly distorted inside
>the cave.

I've always assumed that the effects in the cave were due to the
sealing method Yousho used.  I never considered the fact the inside
of the cave could be in a subspace...   *hmmm*

>>> and then grew her roots into Ryoko.
>>
>This is a simple matter of looking at the still frames.

Again, I didn't interpt the pictures like that.  I was under the
assumption that Yousho wanted to give as much authentisicy to
his demon story as he could.  So he put creepy looking things
in the cave....one of which was Ryoko's mask and tattered clothes.

Never let it be said that Yousho never plans ahead.  ^_^;

>>    Not sure about this either, unless Funaho (the tree) has
>>    hyperdimensional roots (shades of Yggdrasil? :) and has
>>    lots of power to spare.  The cave itself was located
>>    beneath a ledge, and goes very far into the earth, so
>>    perhaps the roots outside of the seal were just from
>>    ordinary trees above?
>
>Roots that start moving around all over the place when Tenchi unplugs the
>sword?
>        Anyway, in OVA #6, when Sasami, back on Earth, runs to Funaho and
>recites her chant to the tree ancestors, she is transported into Tsunami, in
>deep space.  The Royal trees are "Higher-diminsionally" connected to one
>another (mostly to Tsunami, I suspect)
>        The Jurains are very ignorant of the realities of Tsunami and the
>trees: whether she's getting the power from Ryoko's jewels, or wherever,
>Funaho is clearly not reduced to impotence by being planted.

It definately shows that the trees are capable of subspace manipulations
but not nessisarly their roots.  ^_^;

>>>         In OVA #9 it is revealed that Ryoko is half human,
>>
>>    We don't know about the "human" part, either.
>>
>If Washu's genetic makeup is not human, she couldn't have had a baby by the
>usual method by her Jurian husband.  We know the Jurians are genetically
>compatable with Earth humans because Funaho Ojosama had Yosho, fathered by
>Azusa, presumably by ordinary means.  So we don't even have to take the word
>of notes or non-cannonical materials.  Biologically, this should remove any
>question of their humanity.

"human" is such a subjective thing in Tenchi.  ^_^  Anyhow, Washu isn't
human.  Ryoko is a modified clone of Washu(what an interesting way
to refer to children ^_^) so Ryoko isn't human either.

I don't see the connection to the Jurains.  Washu said that her baby
was taken way because her husband came from an important family and
they disapproved of Washu.  This doesn't mean that she was married
to a Jurain(although it would make for interesting twist and make
this unknown, unintroduced character even more important ^_^).

>>> half Masu.  The
>>> Masu, we are told, will obey the strongest mind they are in contact with.
>>> Without her jewels, Ryoko was simply taken over by Funaho.  Ryoko makes
>>> several side remarks , especially in #6 that may be interpreted as stemming
>>> from her relationship with Funaho. Ryoko sings about her lessons in the cave
>>> on the CDs, in particular in the song "Imasara", and it is mentioned in
>>> published notes. Though I grant you that is not strictly cannonical to the
>>> pure OVA story, the elaboration I am suggesting makes sense.
>>
>>    Haven't listened to the song yet, so I can't say myself.  Then
>>    again, if OVA 5 was any indication, much of her learning process
>>    involved Tenchi, observing him as he grew.
>>
>She also doubtless observed a great deal of other human activity aroung the
>shrine in 700 earth years. (A medieval shrine would be an ideal place to
>observe extreme expressions of human ethical, emotional, and religious
>stress, B-)).

I don't think Ryoko got much of a chance to observe anything.  ^_^
A remote mountain shrine doesn't strike me a very good place to
observe human interaction.  After all, just go to Sunday church
and see what I mean.  ^_-

>>>         The fact that Ryoko grew up knowing nothing about being human,
>>> and first began to learn to be and want to be human while in the cave is
>>> consistantly carried through in her and Washu's remarks, and has a lot to
>>> do with their not getting along too well. (The ethical problems raised by
>>> Washu's conduct in the whole matter are of great(almost obsessive)interest
>>> to me, but should be discussed elsewhen).
>>
>>    I guess even Washuu couldn't handle being the greatest scientist in
>>    the galaxy AND the role of "Mom" at the same time.  ^_^;
>>
>Ha!  I maintain that Washu is 100% responsible for Ryoko's falling into
>Kagato's hands.  First of all, she has a well established ethical flaw (the
>classic mad-scientist one of Dr. Frankenstein), which led her to fall to
>Kagato.  Secondly, the creation of Ryoko was a cruel and unethical act in
>persuit of the Frankenstein vision.  She took no care of the consequences of
>inflicting Chimera status on sentient beings (Ryoko and Ryo-ohki), and thus
>is responsible for the persecution Ryoko suffers from kagato and Aeka, and
>is also responsible for Ryoko's past history of not having a suitable mate
>available.

I disagree.  Washu was battered after her husband left with her baby.
I wouldn't be surpised if shortly there after she became sucluded from
the rest of the academy.  Washu feels very lonely and decides that
she can have another child that no one would take from her(at
least easily ^_^).  She creates her child and gives her special abilites
to protect herself.  But somewhere along the way she runs into a student
name Kagato with great abmitions and sees an opportunity.  He seals
her away, steals her work, and takes Ryoko under his "tutialiage".

I remember asking myself the same question.  "What in the hell
posessed Washu to build Ryoko?"  As the series progressed, I came
to understand.  It wasn't out of the "mad scientist" syndrome, but
came from pain.  Washu didn't want to create Ryoko or Ryo-ohki
to see if she could do it....she wanted to because she cared.  ^_^

The fact that Ryo-ohki and Ryoko were not born of natural means
changes nothing.  The test tube or the womb....it really shouldn't
matter.

BTW, I do have a feeling that Ryoko's and Ryo-ohki's creation
also had another purpose....but that's another thread. ^_^;;;;;

>        If another powerful, freakish Chimera, like Tenchi apparently is,
>won't have her(hmm...throws Tsunami in a bad ethical light; but Tsunami was
>desperate for a weapon that could destroy Kagato), what hope does Ryoko
>have, even though she has chosen to be human?

This is the very thing I hope they will show in OAV #3.  If the Pioneer
powers that be are listening:

Please show an episode where Ryoko, Ryo-ohki, and Washu actually interact
with each other.

Washu has been hurt and puts on a front for Ryoko(just like you claim
Ryoko has).  The Magic 8 ball says that when push comes to shove,
she will stand up for Ryoko.  ^_^

>        I think the above reasoning is a lot of why Ryoko doesn't like
>Washu: Besides, imagine how she feels as a biological teenager, in love,
>having 20000(galactic)year old Washu peeping in on her mental life.

'stressful' would be one word I'd use.  ^_^

>BTW: I would still like to hear something about Japanese rabbit lore.

Would breaking into the skit from the Holy Grail be appropriate now? ^_^

Tomar
aka tomar@iastate.edu

Tomar: aka tomar@iastate.edu   			|"I didn't realize that Anime
Temporary Summer Home:      			|was so heavy!"
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~tomar/anime.html |

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited