Re: El-Hazard Conclusion

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from tomar@iastate.edu
subject Re: El-Hazard Conclusion
date Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:06:35 -0500
Tenchi ML,

deckerd@agcs.com said:
>On May 31,  1:57pm, Derek (Lanzer) Liu wrote:

[clippage]

>> >while still concluding the first series enough to allow it
>> >to stand alone in case no sequel is ever made. Still...of
>> >the several women in the cast with an interest in Makoto...
>> >I was astonished to see the choice that was finally made.
>> >Not the one I'd pick!
>>
>Uh oh! Spoiler ahead! Watch out!
>
>>     Yeah, that was pretty surprising at the end, but I like that
>> since Nanami & Shala^2 weren't anything close as an ideal babe.
>> (Not keeping in mind that Elfurita can destroy a city in two seconds
>:)
>After I wrote my comment, I went back and watched the last episode
>again. It sorta penetrated my thick cranium that Makoto is an easy-
>going, soft-spoken, thoughtful, sympathetic, senstive kind of guy,
>while Nanami and Shayla-Shayla are loud, pushy, brassy, impulsive.
>Neither would be a good match for him, unless he wanted to be led
>around by the nose for the rest of his life. On the other hand,
>the newly humanized Ifurita needs him, and apparently the project
>of reforming a killer android with the power of several nuclear
>bombs appeals to him. (I even seem to detect an echo of Blue
>Sonnet here. The way to soften a killer female android/cyborg is
>to give her some experience at a Japanese high school. Share a
>bento box, make a friend!) Still, even though Ifurita was under
>outside control and not responsible for her actions when she
>blew up whole cities and killed thousands of people, I just
>wonder how the good citizens of El-Hazard would react to her
>living in their midst even though supposedly reformed?
>
>I also wonder how the El-Hazard TV show differs in this regard? I've
>read that Princess Fatora doesn't exist in that continuity (so
>maybe somebody decided the royal impersonation plot was a dead
>end) and Rune Venus is younger (suggesting to me that maybe she
>would be the romantic interest here), but otherwise I don't know
>much about it.

In the grand tradition of Tenchi TV, throw out anything you knew
from the OAVs!  ^_^  At least the intro kicks("where in the hell
is everyone pointing at and running to?" ^_^) and the pencil sketch
closing credits are cute("wait a minute....wasn't that Makoto that
floated by?"  ^_^).

I promise to keep the spoilers out as much as possible.

First off, in EH TV, the four travelers end up in El Hazard because
Jinai's resentment of Makoto and messed up Makoto's science experiment.

You are correct.  Rune has no younger sibling, but Rune herself
is much younger and becomes a love interest for Makoto.  ^_^;

Their abilites are for the most part the same.  Nanami has the
same ability as Jinai which is "universal understanding".  Both
of them can understand anything said to them....but they still
aren't the best translators.  ^_^;

(This part I did like)The Priestess have their own sect and followings.
Sheyla Sheyla, Afrua Mann, and Miz Mizsu represent the heads.  They
lamps become more standardized wrist wear.  IMHO, one of the best
episodes is the one where you see Sheyla and Mann enter school.
No wonder why they like eachother.  ^_^;;;;;

(This is the part I despies)Ifurita is a cute and whimpy.  She ends
up creating destruction through the mishaps she causes instead of
pure destructive capibilites.  THEY TURNED HER INTO A WUSS!  One
could almost say that she sounds just like Mihoshi....but that's
because she sounds like Mihoshi!  ^_^

This is a little longer but I've got to get back to work.  ^_^

All in all...a good run, but, just like Tenchi, I'll still prefer
Tenchi and El Hazard OAVs anyday.

Tomar
aka tomar@iastate.edu

Tomar: aka tomar@iastate.edu   			|"I didn't realize that Anime
Temporary Summer Home:      			|was so heavy!"
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~tomar/anime.html |

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited