Re: Who deservs Tenchi?

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from deckerd@agcs.com
subject Re: Who deservs Tenchi?
date Thu, 4 Apr 1996 08:36:14 -0700
On Apr 4,  8:19am, Harvey Torrance Griffin wrote:
> Subject: Who deservs Tenchi?
> I am fairly new to both this list and Tenchi Muyo! in general,
> but I do have a pair of (mildly pointless) questions:
> According to the info/storyline OAVs, which one of Tenchi's
> suitors will finally win his hand/heart (let us avoid problems
> of self preservation for the moment)?

There are people on this ML who are really, really INTO the series
and have read the Japanese-only background information (like the
101 Facts book), but I don't think even they know the answer to
that. The series hasn't progressed far enough to give a clearcut
answer. My guess is that Tenchi will be allowed two wives when the
time comes and he will end up with Ryoko and Sasami/Tsunami, but
that's just a guess based on trying to second-guess the creators
and an intuitive sense of where I think the series is headed based
on what I've seen so far. Others on the ML have different guesses
and they have some pretty good reasons, so it's all pretty
speculative at this point. It's a game anybody can play, though,
so you're welcome to join in.

> Secondly; who, in your opinion, deserves him?

The revelation that Ryoko can probably generate the Light Hawk
Wings (ep 13) kind of made me think that she and Tenchi must
have a common destiny. Further, some remarks heard over the
course of the series make me think that there's more to Tenchi
than has been revealed. That is, his identification with the
sword, and Kagato's fleeting observation that "Tenchi can't be
copied. Well done, Tsunami!" I can't say much at this time
because of lack of hard evidence, but my guess is that Tenchi
was somehow _made_. Oh, he may have been born naturally of a
human woman, but I'm suspecting prenatal genetic tinkering or
something. What's more, I also suspect he and Ryoko were made
for each other. I'm groping in the dark here without much
substantial to back me up, so maybe other people can support
me or shoot me down as they see fit. Anyway, just by the series'
dramatic structure and the fact that Juraian men can have two
wives, I'd almost bet that Ryoko is a given as Tenchi's future
wife, even if both have a lot of growing up to do yet. The real
question is who will be Tenchi's _other_ wife, and I'd bet on
Samami (who _really_ has some growing up to do). (And Aeka will
end up with Yousho.) Again, this is all my opinion. Take it with
a truckload of sodium chloride crystals.

--Dwight Decker

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited