date Wed, 3 Apr 96 15:47:26 -0600
>From:        deckerd@agcs.com
>
>On Apr 3,  7:57pm, James 'Kagato' Budworth wrote:
>> Subject: Re: name query
>
>> However ... did you notice that a lot of Washuu's clothes
>> have a "wing" type design on them ?? (usually around the collar)
>> Also when she was sealed in the crystal, the two serpents were
>> wrapped around a creast which looked like a bird.
>
>I hadn't noticed that, or paid attention to it.

Well, remember that Mihoshi called that outfit the "old uniform of the
Science Academy," or something to that effect... it could be that the
wing/bird motif and that part of her name date from that time at the
academy (before Kagato imprisoned her), and the crab motif was something
she decided to pick up later.

>I guess I was
>too busy noticing that Washu has a crab motif. (Runs through
>the list.) Crabshell door-opening signal. Crab screen savers
>on her computer. When she pulls a can of milk out of nowhere
>in the baby episode, the can has a crab on the label. Even her
>hair style seems to represent a crab body design.

I'm not sure about the hair... ;>

Hmm... now that I think about it, do all the crab references come just
from the second OAV series? I don't remember if the crab doorbell or
screensaver were present in OAV 7, and there wasn't any opportunity to
see them in OAV 1-6. :) It could be that the name and wing motif come
from the first series, and the crab was an add-on for the second series.

>Which got
>me to thinking...do the other characters have totems like that?
>Ryoko seems to be a cat, with cat-eye pupils, and one of her
>outfits has a cat-tail.

Also look at the outfit she wears in OAV's 11-12; stylized cat's eyes on
the breasts, and teeth running along the bottom edge of the (rather
abbreviated) blouse...

>Ayeka, by contrast, seems to have a puppy look to her.

MMMmmmmm.... maybe. :)

>And Mihoshi strikes me as a goldfish.

Hadn't thought of it that way, but yes. :)

Travis Butler
(The Professor, formerly of Myth and Magick!, Lawrence, KS;
 tbutler@tfs.net, now from the Wandering Powerbook;
 <http://www.tfs.net/personal/tbutler/>;
 Mac page <http://www.tfs.net/business/tbutler/>)

..Hello. I'm afraid I'm not sapient right now. Please leave a message,
and I'll get back to you when I reach a higher evolutionary plane. Thank
you.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited