Re: name query

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from deckerd@agcs.com
subject Re: name query
date Wed, 3 Apr 1996 08:37:55 -0700
On Apr 3,  7:57pm, James 'Kagato' Budworth wrote:
> Subject: Re: name query

> However ... did you notice that a lot of Washuu's clothes
> have a "wing" type design on them ?? (usually around the collar)
> Also when she was sealed in the crystal, the two serpents were
> wrapped around a creast which looked like a bird.

I hadn't noticed that, or paid attention to it. I guess I was
too busy noticing that Washu has a crab motif. (Runs through
the list.) Crabshell door-opening signal. Crab screen savers
on her computer. When she pulls a can of milk out of nowhere
in the baby episode, the can has a crab on the label. Even her
hair style seems to represent a crab body design. Which got
me to thinking...do the other characters have totems like that?
Ryoko seems to be a cat, with cat-eye pupils, and one of her
outfits has a cat-tail. Ayeka, by contrast, seems to have a
puppy look to her. And Mihoshi strikes me as a goldfish. As
for Sasami/Tsunami...I don't have the foggiest. Next question:
how much of this is _real_? That is, intended by the animators?
Did they consciously identify each character with a different
animal and model the look accordingly? I think it's pretty
definite that they did with Washu and crabs, and _maybe_ there's
a less defined similarity between Ryoko and cats. Beyond that,
I wouldn't bet the rent. (On the other hand, Washu does compare
Dr. Clay to an octopus...)

--Dwight Decker

Search field Search string

archive list