Re: Fanime con

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from matteson@ccnet.com (Gregory Wayne Matteson)
subject Re: Fanime con
date Tue, 5 Mar 1996 23:11:31 -0800
>On Mar 3,  6:29pm, Gregory Wayne Matteson wrote:
>> Subject: Fanime con
>
>> There was a SM-S Movie screening, really quite good. It confirmed my
>> worst suspicion of DIC dub and editing. The SM panel were quite sure
>> that what DIC does is absolutely necessary for North American
>> broadcast.

>Dwight Decker replied:

>I realize this is a Tenchi ML and not a Sailor Moon ML, and I
>beg everyone's forgiveness. Anyway, was the Fanime con showing
>of Sailor Moon S: The Movie (a) in raw original Nihongo, (b)
>fan-subbed, (c) or a preview of a dubbed DIC commercial theatrical
>release? (I put the alternatives in order of probability.)
>(Snip)
I don't know the exact ettiquitte of this, but I believe that choice (b)
would be technically illegal for a public screening. Nuf said?

>I think Pioneer falls down somewhat in the voice work.
>(Snip)
I know subbed stuff detracts for a lot of people, I am personally equally
untalented in language and determined to understand and learn everything I
possibly can. I have more free time than some others, so I eschew dubbs in
favor of subs and a good dictionary,(more purist prejudice from me B-), and
pray for the day I learn enough Nihongo to get by without subs.
        I do know enough to know that Pioneer has changed the personalities,
and in some cases consciously dumbed down the dialog for the American fan. I
endorse your examples, and add that in the second OVA series, they have
opted to put a rougher edge on the Dubbed Ryoko.(by now you all know she's
my favorite, B-) I think that is a misreading of why she is popular over here.

>> (I do hate the way I keep ending up
>> arguing the purist viewpoint, I don't really believe it) I think
>> what happens to SM, and the nastyness on RAA, supports my recent
>> slander of my
>> own culture with regard to sexuality and body.

>(Snip)... Every once in a while someone on RAA goes into a rant about how
>American culture is sick about sex and nudity while the Japanese are ever
>so much healthier (e.g., the communal bath scene of father and
>daughters in My Neighbor Totoro). I'm convinced that America and
>Japan both have their own sets of hang-ups; one culture isn't
>necessarily better, but just different.
(Snip)
Sorry, I do try to keep my postings shorter than my impulse would have it.
Let me refer back and amplify on my earlier posted comment. I had said that
in our culture, at the mere sight of a naked female breast, IQs drop to
single digits, and the story goes in the trash. This, I assert, is common in
our popular culture. The artistic problem is not so much that there is
something more sick about our attitudes and the resultant censorship, as
that the result is a lack of effective artistic expression. The Japanese
stuff may be chauvanistic, but at least they can still tell a story after
putting it in there.
        As to nastiness on the raa, I mostly(not entirely B-|, ) meant the
nastiness directed at SM fans and postings. There is some serious lack of
personal self control, self esteem, and dignity, on the part of some parties
on raa, and my tender ego would never allow me to post for that rabble, with
their phony purist attitudes, explitive flaming is inexcusable, IMHO!
        Mind you, I would only marginally call myself interested in SM, much
less a fan(I do watch it, true confession), TM is the true center of my
fan-ness.

        BTW:In another response to the original of this posting, I was asked
about the price of the grey Ryo-ohki toys. It was about $25, that's about
twice the 1200 yen mentioned.( I do try not to make more postings than is
necessary, I could easily get tired of hearing myself, B-) I do read
everything, thank you.

                                Greg M.

*A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines. -Emerson*

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs