Re: More about Ryoko's jewels( 12&13 stuff)

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from matteson@ccnet.com (Gregory Wayne Matteson)
subject Re: More about Ryoko's jewels( 12&13 stuff)
date Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:23:19 -0800
>On Feb 5, 10:11pm, Gregory Wayne Matteson wrote:
>> Subject: More about Ryoko's jewels( 12&13 stuff)
>> WARNING: This is 12&13 stuff. If you havn't seen them,
>> you might not want to read.
>>
>> Kagato discovered that Tenchi can't be copied.

Dwight Decker responded:

>I heard Kagato say that, and I remain baffled as to why he
>said it at all, and why he happened to say it at that moment.
>Unless I missed something, Kagato hadn't tried to copy Tenchi,
>and copying Tenchi hadn't even been an issue up to then.

Kagato said that he had tried everything, presumably including copying the
master key, which is also called Tenchi: But our Tenchi is the real master
key, apparently Kagato realizes he has been on a blind path...exuent Kagato.

>> Zero and Dr. Clay discovered that Ryoko can't be copied.
>>
>And yet it sure looked like he copied her.
Yea, all except the jewel, it couldn't be copied, which is why Dr. Clay
decided he needed to study Ryoko more.
>Did Dr. Clay _think_ he was making a copy of
>Ryoko, but what was happening was that a previously separated (by
>Washu) part of Ryoko's personality was downloading into Zero?
>
>> I was shocked, on careful re-viewing, to discover just how
>> vague Washu (and the editors) keep things about the jewels,
>> there may be a big surprise in store.

Vague as they have kept it, it has been said many times in many ways that
Ryoko's jewels are Ryoko's, linked to her mind and life. Taking Ryoko's
jewel was plain and simple hooking herself up to Ryoko(I still think there
was an actual double B-) as has been long established to exist)
>I've kind of lost track of how many jewels there are, how many
>Ryoko has at the moment, and how powerful she is supposed to
>be per jewel. I wish the editors had been clearer on the point.
>Most of the time, Ryoko seems able to do just about anything,
>but if some major plot development depends on her being unable
>to do something important because she's one jewel short, it
>should be established clearly and in advance.
>
>> Might have beens:  It is noteworthy that Dr. Clay would
>> have been in big trouble anyway, had Zero not found it
>> necessary to take the jewels. He would have had one irate
>> Oni in his fishtank, able to create lighthawk wings, and
>> powerful enough to collapse a black hole, undoing its effects.
>
>Does Ryoko know she can create lighthawk wings? It's probably
>something she can do only when she has all the jewels, right?
NAI
>I get the impression that even Ryoko doesn't know everything
>about herself that Funaho and Yosho mentioned about her in
>their conversation.

IPPON- I just got through checking a flash memory of mine.  When the Masu
blasted Ryoko in OVA 10, There are 10 frames (that's 1/3 of a second), of
Ryoko with a shield like the one Tenchi produced in OVA 1, before he knew
about the lighhawk wings. The Masu-blast never actually touched her!

>If Grandpa really isn't old and feeble, and really is still
>the young and virile Yosho, where was he during the final
>battle with Kagato? Sending young and untested Tenchi up
>against an all-powerful archvillain seems a little unwise.
>Yosho knew that Tenchi had the power to defeat Kagato, but
>Tenchi certainly didn't and Yosho was depending on Tenchi
>to figure it out in time. In the event, Tenchi almost didn't,
>and everybody went through a lot of pain and grief.

This is one of my major reasons for pursuing the theory, I think well
founded, that the trees are running the show, and letting the Jurian
chimps...er, uh, Chumps, think they are in charge.
Pardon my saying it again, Tsunami and her trees wanted Kagato dead, and
they were willing to sacrifice a great deal toward that end.

>I'm also puzzled by that scene in episode 7 where Ryoko asks
>Grandpa for permission to seek Tenchi's hand. Granted that it's
>a satiric scene in which Ryoko is going through the motions of
>a formal ritual she doesn't really understand, this is Ryoko
>and this is Yosho. Their last significant encounter was
>when he had her impaled through the neck with a sword. In other
>episodes, Ryoko is shown to remember Yosho quite well and not
>very fondly, even if she had been Kagato's puppet at the time.
>Something like this should color their relationship a bit.

After what Kagato did in OVA 6, it would be easy and correct for Ryoko to
conclude in a rational moment that, ultimately, being impaled and imprisoned
for 700years was a very good thing.

>It just seems to me that something important hasn't been explored
>very well here...Was Tenchi _expected_ to free Ryoko sooner or
>later? Did Grandpa know Ryoko was free as soon as it happened?
>And if he was expecting to see Ryoko with Tenchi, wasn't he at
>least a bit surprised to see Ayeka and Sasami show up, too?

I said it before, pardon me, Funaho (the ship), sent out a message, which
Aeka was told by Ryu-oh was a detection of Ryoko.  Aeka and Sasami just
happened to be on ice in the neighborhood.(duh...B-))  Ryoko, who had been
in Funaho's embrace, knew they were coming.
It's the trees, I tell you, they are plotting!

>How coincidental was Tenchi's house being moved so close to the
>shrine (apparently with electrical and plumbing connections
>intact...)?
>
>Oh well...
>
>--Dwight Decker

                                Greg

*A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines. -Emerson*

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs