Re: EPISODE 13 Questions [SPOILER WARNING]

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from matteson@ccnet.com (Gregory Wayne Matteson)
subject Re: EPISODE 13 Questions [SPOILER WARNING]
date Sun, 4 Feb 1996 20:02:30 -0800
>On Feb 2,  7:49pm, Steven Osman wrote:
>> Subject: EPISODE 13 Questions [SPOILER WARNING]
>> I have a couple of Epsiode 13 questions.
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> [SPOILER WARNING]
>> Ok.
>
>> I'm pretty certain that the shadows in the background are Washu and
>> Tsunami - they couldn't be her sisters, or could they?  Tsunami, I
>can
>> understand, but Washu?)
>
>Ryoko can create the Light Hawk Wings herself, it seems to
>me that Tenchi is going to end up married to Ryoko and
>Sasami/Tsunami. That Light Hawk Wings angle suggests some
>kind of common destiny binding Ryoko and Tenchi, while
>Sasami/Tsunami is pretty much the real heroine of this series.
>Aeka has some personality problems that Sasami doesn't. But
>for all I know, Tenchi could end up married to _all_ of them...
>
>By the way, did I understand the ending of #12 correctly?
>Dr. Clay copied Ryoko's personality and gave it to Zero,
>with the result that Zero became a second Ryoko, though with
>the emphasis on the more loving side. And at the end, rather
>than wipe out the copy, which would be like killing a Ryoko,
>Washu chose to merge her with the primary, but for reasons
>of her own Washu told the others she herself had split Ryoko's
>personality, rather than telling the truth that Dr. Clay had
>made an out and out copy. Washu's explanation doesn't jibe with
>what we saw in episode #11, and Ryoko privately calls her a
>"big fat liar" after Washu gives that explanation. Am I missing
>something here?

Yes. The double is a known defensive mechanism. Recall that Dr. Clay and
Zero were unable to copy Ryoko's jewels, had to take hers. I'm pretty sure
the truth is that in taking the jewels, Zero got Ryoko's defensive double,
which overlay her robot nature, and took over,(making Washu's lie a half
truth.). Ryoko had to take the double back to get the jewels back, but both
she and Washu want to hide that her true heart has been revealed. Ryoko
doesn't like any of Washu's motives for lying, but can't do much but say
Washu is lying, then go along with her.

>--Dwight Decker

Elsewhere, you asked whether there was any "official" endorsement of my
three fates theory. Short answer, no. This is backstage stuff, the series
editors are well known for shilling us anyway. The trees, the
characteristics of Washu and Sasami, the utterly assured power in the OVA 13
duel outcome, are just a few of the clues. Widely varied versions of the
norse myths allow a lot of room for creative adaptation.
         You shouldn't look for strict adherence to the Eddas. For example,
the trees are modified considerably both because the image of the world tree
is a religious mystery, and to make it more viable as science-fiction.
        Do we need to understand the religious eclecticism, or even the
world view of the Japanese, especially the Shinto influence?  If you care
about any posited deeper meaning, we do.  TM is about 90% set in a Shinto
shrine, and the word "Kami" comes up hundreds of times. The folks at AIC
seem to really like working Norse elements into their stories, either
because they meld well with Shinto ideas, or because they like being clever.

                                Greg

*A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines. -Emerson*

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs