Re: EPISODE 13 Questions [SPOILER WARNING]

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from deckerd@agcs.com
subject Re: EPISODE 13 Questions [SPOILER WARNING]
date Sun, 4 Feb 1996 17:39:26 -0700
On Feb 2,  9:36pm, Gregory Wayne Matteson wrote:
> Subject: Re: EPISODE 13 Questions [SPOILER WARNING]
> >I have a couple of Epsiode 13 questions.
>
> >[SPOILER WARNING]
> >[SPOILER WARNING]
> >Ok.

> The three sisters, of Norse mythology, are the three goddesses of
> fate. For someone versed in Norse mythology the editors have made the
> identifications painfully obvious by the last scene in OVA 13.

Has the Norse identification been officially acknowledged,
like in the 101 Tenchi facts book (which I haven't seen)?

I hadn't realized the Norse connection here, though of
course it's been much discussed in connection with
Oh My Goddess (and I love how the Japanese lack of
distinction between V and B / R and L made the wonderfully
cute name "Belldandy" out of the rather flavorless
"Verdandi"). Gosh, is this the Japanese answer
to multicultural diversity? If we're to
be PC, we have to learn about Shinto, while they have to
learn about Western religions and mythology?

I'm supposed to be translating a Danish comics series called
Valhalla, which quite faithfully adapts the Norse myths, into
English for publication here, and I just remembered there's a
living disembodied head upon whom Odin sometimes calls for
advice and counsel. Could that be where D3 in Tenchi comes
from (that's the head who gives Dr. Clay a hard time). Darn,
I should be able to remember the head's name, too, after reading
all nine Valhalla albums and the Hollander translation of the
Edda...

--Dwight Decker

Search field Search string

archive list