Re: How to create MP2, MP3 files ???

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Brazil <borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
subject Re: How to create MP2, MP3 files ???
date Mon, 3 Mar 1997 19:26:33 +0100 (MEZ)
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Mark Clifton wrote:

> Johnson Chan wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know how to create MP2, mp3 files??? Any software, or hardware
> > need....and of course where to get them....
> > Thanks!
>
> Yea, I have alittle program which you can make mp2 files.  But the way
> it works, you need to make the wav file first which can take up 10MB a
> minute at Stereo CD Quality!  After that (pending how fast your computer
> is) you can decode it into mp2.  I have a pentium 133 and it takes me
> over 20 mins. to make a 4 min. (St. CD Quality) song into mp2.  Mp3 now
> I've not done, but I've heard its a lot eaiser and faster to do than
> mp2.  Just let me know if you want the program!  ;)

I doubt that about MP3 strongly. It is not basically different from MP2,
so it can`t be easier, except if the program is written better. But that
has nothing to do with the standard. However, MP3 requires substantially
more complex calculations, threfore it is a lot SLOWER to encode AND
decode. The gain is in the compression factor, which means higher quality
for the same size or smaller size for the same quality.

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt / 089-3616887 / borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
   Member of #WASHU# and initiate of the Church of Washu-chan, goddess of
   science, humor and everything and Her prophetess Ryoko the Magnificent.
--------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? ---------------

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited