Re: Ryoko's Cave now opens!

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from zangief@netcom.com (Ryo-oh-ki)
subject Re: Ryoko's Cave now opens!
date Wed, 12 Jul 1995 23:27:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hitoshi Doi said:

> Steven Osman <steven.osman@factory.com> writes:
> |
> | In any case, there really is no reason that anybody out there can't be
> | using Netscape.
>
> Netscape doesn't support Japanese yet..
> So it's unusable for me.

    Netscape claims that 1.1N fully supports JIS, SJIS, and EUC formats
    --- but all of their docs only deal with Macintosh/Windows support,
    anyone get it to work on their Unix box?

> | There are barriers to using Mosaic, though,
> | such as glacial slowness, frequent crashes, infrequent updates, lack of
> | support for many features used in many web sites, etc.
>
> I use 2.4, and it never crashed so far.  "many features?"
> Those are non-standard..

    In fact, Netscape actually violates some of the WWW specifications
    while still including those pre-standard tags.

    One of the few things I like about Netscape that I wish NCSA Mosaic
    would support is built-in inline display of jpegs.

> |   This highly available browser is also the best,
> | fastest, best-featured browser out there, such that most of the best web
> | sites program support for its features.  If you want to surf the Web to
> | its fullest today, you'll need a $0.00 piece of software. How is that
> | exclusionary?
>
> But they don't give the source so people can make it display
> simple text in Japanese..

    It is also the main culprit that has crashed my systems more
    frequently than any other application, be it Macintosh, Windows,
    or Unix.  :(

> | I recommend that everybody check out the Sasami and Ryoko shrines using a
> | Netscape 1.1 browser and say if they would like it any other way.  IMHO,
> | these two sites are the best looking and most fun anime sites I've seen.
>
> I prefer to use lynx or some text-only browser.
> The transpacific network is too slow.. (;_;)

    Tell me about it.  Kodansha's Rayearth page took me 20 minutes to
    upload once!  200 byte/sec transfer rates are not fun.  ___/x.x\___

___/^_^\___ Eugene Lee                                    Ryo-oh-ki Muyo! Tenchi
	    zangief@netcom.com

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited