Re: Pretty Sammi transformation

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from "Dr. Briefs" <brief@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Pretty Sammi transformation
date Sat, 06 Jan 1996 23:56:53 -0800
Chris Mennie <af527@freenet.carleton.ca> writes:
>	What does Sasami say to transform into Pretty Sammi? I've been
>racking my brains trying to translate it into english, but since my
>japanese isn't too great I've only manage to get part of it. :(
>	Its roughly something like "Jugeimu jugeimu gokouno sorikire Sammy
>Davis buroira chikin." and I've got the Sammy Davis buroira chikin part
>(Sammy Davis broiled chicken) since that was pretty obvious. I figure that
>the "jugeimu" bit roughly translates into "10 game", but what about the
>"gokouno sorikire" part? I'm assuming by the was she says it the 'go' is
>indicating 'five something', but what? :) What's a 'kouno sorikire'? So
>far my best guess at it is to break 'sorikire' into 'sori' and 'kire' and
>assume that the 'kire' means 'pretty'...argh! Is there anyone out there
>who knows japanese well enough to translate this for me? I'm losing sleep
>over this :) thanks all :)

According to Nobutoshi Ito, who did many Tenchi CD translations, what Sasami
says means is this:

| Jugehm, Jugehm, Gokou no surikire
|
| This is a name (or beginning of it) of a character who appears
| in 'rakugo', traditional funny story telling. A faterh wanted
| his new-born son to have a very good and lucky name, so linked
| many woards to make an extremely long name.

Basically, when a Magic Girl transforms, she usually chants something very
long, and it usually rhymes.  In Pretty Sammi's case, since she started out
as a parody, it's more or less just gibberish, although the chant does have
its roots somewhere.

Oh, and the full chant is "Jugehm, Jugehm, Gokou no surikire, Sammy Davis,
broiler chicken!" (So you were basically correct, I think it's just a
difference of spelling, that's all.)

--
Glenn Wang <brief@ix.netcom.com>
"I want peace on earth, and good-will toward men."

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs