[tenchi:106438] Re: Seikishi Monogatari and Anime Expo

to tenchi@usagi.org
from K T Kutani <kutani@castledragmire.com>
subject [tenchi:106438] Re: Seikishi Monogatari and Anime Expo
date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:14:37 -0500
Joseph Riggs wrote:
> There is one potential issue with this hypothetical industry model, and tha
> t would be the discrepency in pricing between videos in the US and Japan.
> Animeigo originally went with the Japanese model back when no one knew how
> the US model would work out, but practices have changed.  Pricing videos as
>  is done in Japan would hurt US sales, while pricing them here as is the ty
> pical US custom could inadvertantly cause competition with the sales back h
> ome.

Competition is never a bad thing, and in an industry as stagnant as this
one it may help get some fresh blood flowing.  Totally wishful thinking,
but a sharp drop in prices could possibly even result in the full-on
return of the OVA as a viable method of distribution due to a rise in
demand.  Not likely tho.

> I dropped by Animeigo's website a few months ago, and as far as I can tell
> they're focusing pretty much exclusively on live-action (mostly Samurai) fi
> lms these days.  They lost the license for Kimagure Orange Road a couple of
>  years back (random comment related to Animeigo licenses - a few months bac
> k I went hunting on the internet for a specific type of UY image showing Lu
> m in her school uniform floating alongside Ataru, and an awful lot of the "
> Lum" images that I found were actually of Ayukawa Madoka drawn up as Lum o.
> O) , and as far as I can tell their last anime related projects were the Ma
> cross release a few years ago and converting all of Urusei Yatsura to DVD.
>  ADV now has Macross and the UY conversion is finished.  So far as I could
> tell through my visit to the website, Animeigo seems to be limiting its ani
> me product to just the series that it already has the licenses for (and pro
> bably isn't going to lose anytime soon - I would assume that since
>  these are all very old licenses none of them have reversion clauses).

And moreover what anime they are offering they are doing so at
surprisingly low prices.  I would assume due to the age of the IPs
(after, what, 15+ years of having the UY license I imagine depreciation
has really taken hold... good for me, I only dropped ~$350 for the whole
set!).  Honestly I'm surprised AnimEigo is still managing to stick
around these days, but I guess their situation probably hasn't changed
too drastically over the years, given their size and the quirky titles
they held (sans maybe AMG OVA).

-K.T.K

Search field Search string

archive list