[tenchi:106433] Re: Seikishi Monogatari Subbed

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject [tenchi:106433] Re: Seikishi Monogatari Subbed
date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 01:15:54 -0700
Joseph Riggs wrote:

> --- On Mon, 7/6/09, Gregory Himes <gdhimes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Gregory Himes <gdhimes@yahoo.com>
>> Does anybody know
>> if Funimation staked claims on the series...?=A0 If so,
>> they probably went pr
>> eemptive with the C&D letters.=A0 They did that with
>> a few of the spring TV s
>> eries.=3D0A=3D0A=3D0A=A0 =A0 =A0
>
> My brief search last night didn't turn anything up (a similar thought had o
> ccurred to me), though I didn't look that hard.  On the other hand if a com
> pany (such as Funi) did make an announcement regarding it, then I suspect t
> hat the announcement would have been made at Anime Expo just this past week
> end (did anyone attend?) and news might be just trickling out about it now.

I attended AX, though I didn't catch all the industry panels. However,
no such license was announced, according to what I saw and the ANN panel
summaries. Frankly, I can't say I'm surprised - the US anime industry
has had its ass thoroughly kicked these last few years. To recap, for
those who haven't kept up on the news:

1. Central Park Media has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy - that's not
reorganization of debt (chapter 11), but liquidation, which means
they're dead. They had a "so long, and thanks for all the fish" type
farewell statement in the AX program guide; their remaining assets are
actually up for sale.

2. ADV went their 2nd year without an official booth in the exhibit
hall. Last year their space in the front row went to a retailer
associated with ADV. This year there was a company clearly associated
with ADV (Mofc Ltd.) - all they sold were ADV discs - but it was located
in a standard-size booth pretty far back and off to the side in the
exhibit hall. There were no ADV panels at AX. Which isn't too
surprising, considering that I can't actually get ADV to return phone
calls...

3. Bandai didn't have a booth this year. At all. Last year they were the
final big-booth holdout. They did have a panel, though, in contrast to:

4. Media Blasters, who had their usual exhibit hall booth but no panel.
Not too surprising, really - John Sirabella has made it clear that MB's
release schedule is largely dictated by the retailers who are willing to
carry their stuff, and since that largely means Best Buy, MB has to wait
for Best Buy to finish retooling their anime retail strategy. They also
have to cut the number of SKUs/show, just like everybody else.

5. Funimation had a booth AND panels. In this they were unique among US
anime companies.

6. Rightstuf/Nozomi held a couple of panels, but had no booth. Which
actually makes sense, I suppose.

7. Viz held a panel, but had no booth. That's actually an improvement
over last year, when they ditched AX entirely in favor of Comic-con.

8. MIA: Manga, Animeigo, Tokyopop, Del Rey, Dark Horse. Of course,
Geneon/Pioneer no longer really exist as a company that would have an AX
presence any more than, say, Enoki Films USA would.

9. The biggest exhibitor on the floor was Crunchyroll, a video-streaming
site that a mere 18 months ago was 100% copyright infringement (they
weren't even producing their own fansubs!), and which is now 100%
legitimate. Neat turnaround. They actually had a stage with singer or a
host to whip up the crowd into chants of the company name. They hadn't
yet gone as far as throwing T-shirts to the mob, or construction of an
ADV-style Tower of Babel complete with drums, so maybe they'll be spared?

10. Japanese companies are getting more directly involved in the US
market, though they're still going through some American companies. Toei
provided a bunch of the shows for video rooms (they're working with
Crunchyroll), and Aniplex held their own panel (they showed a dubbed
episode 1 of Guin Saga, and it looks like they're trying to build to a
release of Kannagi; I don't see that as doing much better than Lucky
Star, which sold poorly enough that the Limited Edition of volume 6 had
to be cancelled...) Anyway, I get the impression that Aniplex is
inclined to partner with Bandai for the time being, if only because
Bandai's release of Gurren Lagann seems to have gone well enough.

To give you an idea of the scale of announcements: Nozomi's new licenses
were Antique Bakery and Junjou Romantica. And that's it from them.
Funimation - who now constitute 40% of the US anime market by sales
volume, IIRC - announced Sengoku Basara, and a re-release of the
original Dragon Ball (which I count as a new license only because they
got the first 13 episodes, previously in license limbo). Don't get me
wrong - I think that the convention itself was in pretty good shape (the
video rooms could've used a little more variety), and the fan energy was
great. But the industry was barely present. Given that, and given the
fansub I saw of episode 1 of Saint Knight, I don't intend to hold my
breath on it getting licensed in the US. I mean, much stronger series
haven't even been touched yet (Zetsubou-sensei, Moyashimon, Dennou
Coil...), and I don't think that indicates a lack of interest from the
Region 1 companies so much as a lack of cash on hand. Hell, Funimation's
now the only company that basically dubs everything they license. Maybe
Manga still does, when they get around to licensing something.

On a lighter note, I arrived at the anime club a few minutes late a
couple weeks back, and it took me a minute to realize they were showing
Saint Knight. Not that I'd seen it, but it isn't that hard to recognize
Kajishima-inspired character designs. I'm glad to see that Tenchi's
half-brother knows how to handle himself in a battle, though I wonder if
that's the influence of Tenchi and Yosho, or if that comes from Tokimi's
blessing.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list