[tenchi:106403] Re: good series?

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject [tenchi:106403] Re: good series?
date Fri, 15 May 2009 07:40:32 -0700
kenshindono@comcast.net wrote:
> hey guys, ive been gone from the fansub scene for quite a while. Just
> started snagging some stuff lately, mostly  stuff from games and
> manga i found out they made anime of, like tales of the abyss,
> valkyria chronicles, and blade of the immortal. ALso just finished
> d.loading Moribito since media blasters was being really lame and i
> have no idea if they're going to even finish it

They're going to - it's supposed to go back on Adult Swim in a few
months - but basically the entire US anime industry is in the toilet
right now, and only Funimation has the capital to do things at the pace
they'd like. Media Blasters has to take some time to be able to pay for
dubbing episodes, which is why discs 3 and 4 of Moribito probably won't
be on sale until Anime Expo (official street date is July 7 IIRC).

> anyway i was just wondering if theres anything coming out right now
> or in the past year or so thats worth a look?
 >
> my tastes are anything but generic mech shows, or generic love
> stories/school girl anime. Though there are some exceptions; i liked
> gun parade march, and thought ai yori aoshi was ok
>
> some of my faves would probably be Wolfs rain, Full Metal Alchemist,
> Azumanga Daiho, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Gungrave, ect.
>
> I also like things that are a little different, I enjoyed Kino's
> journey, and monster a lot! or wacky as hell. Saw an epp of lucky
> star and thought that looked great

Man, we've seen so much good stuff over the past several years it's hard
to know where to start. My first suggestion for anybody who'll try
something a bit unusual is Moyashimon: Tales of Agriculture. It's
supposedly about a pair of kids from a sort of nowhere village in rural
Japan who try to escape to Tokyo by going to agricultural college.
Except that one of them can see microbes (they're these cute little
dudes), and can talk to them, and they talk back. It's...I can't even
describe it. Seriously, just try the first episode.

Now, assuming you're looking for new shows in general rather than just
fansubs, I'd also tend to recommend the following titles (no
descriptions right now, since I need to get ready for work, and because
I'd have a hard time describing some of these without serious spoilers):

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - from 2006, IIRC, and released by Bandai.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - yes, there are giant robots; no, it's not
a generic giant robot show. Released by Bandai.

Dennou Coil - fansub. You need to give this one 3 or 4 episodes before
it really gets going.

Baccano - You need to watch at least through episode 2 of this; if you
don't like Isaac and Miria, I don't know what to say. Being released by
Funimation (disc 4 should be out by mid-June, I think).

Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei - aka Farewell, Professor Despair.
Comedy/satire centered on a high school teacher who can only see things
negatively (and is constantly attempting suicide), and the class of
bizarre students he's stuck with. Fansubs

If you liked Macross at all, you should take a look at Macross Frontier.
Even if you've never seen original Macross, you should still try out
Frontier (no knowledge of one needed for the other, there's just more
internal references there for those who have). Fansbus only.

Funimation should be bringing out the new seasons of Slayers sometime
fairly soon, but they haven't announced any release dates; I know that
Slayers Revolution was completely fansubbed at one point.

Another Funimation show without a release date is Soul Eater (you should
still be able to find fansubs, but it might be even easier to wait for
the official release).

You might also want to try Detroit Metal City (fansub).

Oh, and you know they're producing a new Fullmetal Alchemist series,
right? Basically, now that the manga is pretty much complete, they're
starting over and actually following the manga - it's being called
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and you can see it free via streaming
on Funimation's site. Actually, a fair number of new titles are being
simulcast with subs on streaming sites - take a look at
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime.

> any sugestions? kinda dont know where to start looking =P
>
> dont even know if this will go on through to the list my messages
> havent lately for some reason

I get the impression other folks have had posting problems. I don't know
if that applies to me - I've mostly been too busy to keep up.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited