[tenchi:106310] Re: [O/T] I Survived a Japanese Game Show

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "AstroNerdBoy" <usr1054@astronerdboy.com>
subject [tenchi:106310] Re: [O/T] I Survived a Japanese Game Show
date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:25:44 -0600 (MDT)

I thought "Majide" was likely fake, but I had some people ask me
in e-mail since I blogged about it.  As I couldn't find anything
online AND the crowd seemed a bit staged, I figured that
"Majide" may be fake.  However, there are wacky Japanese
game shows out there.

As for "Wipeout," I didn't care
for that so much.  I watched it, hoping for a "Takeshi's
Castle."  I know a lot of people like MXC, Jeff mentioning his
own enjoyment of that in an earlier post.  I don't like MXC because I
don't care for what "Takeshi's Castle" became (and I ranted
about it in the early days of my blog).  But "Wipeout" was
somewhat like "Takeshi's Castle" and somewhat like
"American Gladiators" without the gladiators.  It felt like
they were trying to make "Wipeout" funny with the dumb jokes,
trying to bring in fans of "Takeshi's Castle"/"MXC,"
and trying to bring in sports fans.

Speaking of "Takeshi's
Castle," I've looked and it appears the show was never released on
DVD in Japan.  Is that true?  If so, why not?

--
AstroNerdBoy's Anime/Manga/Japan Blog
http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com

Tenchi Muyo! FAQ
http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/

"Death and Poverty
love me so much, they brought friends!"  -- Vash the Stampede,
"Trigun"

> Yeah, I watched it and enjoyed it quite
a bit. Mama-san was a bit
> too campy for me, but otherwise the
show was fun. Also, Majide
> is not a real JP Game Show. It's a
mock-up that the contestants
> think is real. However, you never
know what the future holds.

> Also, Wipeout was a very
very fun watch also. It's nice to see
> something like Takeshi's
Castle on US television that's not the
> horribly over the top
(Still funny though) MXC version or too
> watered down style ala
Nickelodeon. Wipeout is still a little weak,
> but I still laughed
nonetheless.

> Bear "replicant" Powell
> "Be resolute, fear
no sacrifice, and surmount every
>   difficulty to win
victory." - Chairman Máo Zédong

Currently Playing: Warhammer Online CBT, Dark Age of Camelot

From:
<tenchi@usagi.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:44
PM
> Subject: [tenchi:106307] [O/T] I Survived a Japanese Game
Show

>> Did
any of you catch this? If you are bored, you can catch
>> some
brief thoughts I had on the show here:

http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-survived-japanese-game-show-01.html
>> )