[tenchi:106130] Re: Grievous Marvel Comics BS

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject [tenchi:106130] Re: Grievous Marvel Comics BS
date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:43:08 -0800
Joseph Riggs wrote:
> Yup.  I read about this yesterday on MSNBC.  I'm
> surprised, but sadly I can't say that I'm schocked.
> Marvel seems to be drifting lately in its storylines,
> and while I don't follow comicbooks, I still hear
> things.  The House of M storyline apparently didn't go
> over too well.  And what I've heard about the current
> "Civil War" storyline only confirmed my initial
> suspicions that there wouldn't be any serious
> discussion of the pros and cons of requiring
> registration of people who can kill you by pointing at
> you.  Instead, Marvel created a one-sided story that's
> a rather ham-handed attempt to criticize the War on
> Terror.

In the last several years, Marvel generally seems to have trouble
executing even the good concepts they come up with (and they seem to
spend plenty of time coming up with lousy concepts as well). One aspect
of this is the way they continually blow deadlines - some issues are now
literally years late, for example - and others are the way that some
creators are horribly misused. This storyline is a perfect example: they
used Mark Millar as the head writer. Now, Millar's cynical approach to
characters and plots can actually be an interesting new take on them
(see the Ultimates books for an example of where he's gone with this).
But evenhandedness, or even subtlety? For whatever reason, he just
doesn't seem to do things like that.

> I didn't think Marvel would go as far as they
> apparently are, but it isn't really as surprising to
> me as it ought to be.  The overall plot writer all but
> bragged about something like this waaaaay back when
> Marvel was first publicizing the Civil War story-line.

My little conspiracy theory: Captain America is a hard character to
write for in an ongoing series that ties into other titles' continuity
(he's different as a standalone character), mostly because he isn't
prone to being morally compromised or hated (unlike so many Marvel
characters since Spider Man). What Marvel's done here is to take Captain
America out of circulation while there isn't a movie deal for him (the
real moneymaker as far as Marvel's concerned*), which keeps bad
storylines from devaluing him. He'll be trotted back out when Marvel
thinks there's a movie deal (or TV deal, or something else where they
can profit on the character), and at that time they'll flood the market
with as much Cap stuff as possible in order to maximize profits.

* My understanding is that these days, Marvel's monthly comics are
basically break-even, slightly unprofitable, or very slightly
profitable. They basically continue to exist as IP laboratories,
generating either new character IP for Marvel to license, or new
storylines to increase the value of existing characters. It's kind of
sad, but these days Marvel is basically all about licensing its
intellectual property rather than about telling stories.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited