[tenchi:106071] Re: One Quick Question

to <tenchi@usagi.org>
from "Jeff Harris" <JLHOnami@mchsi.com>
subject [tenchi:106071] Re: One Quick Question
date Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:53:35 -0600
Z could have been a really neat character, full of pathos and angst and
unbridled animosity towards the Chusin.  Phhht....

Tenchi's "new family" is pathetic, particularly the bit about his mother.
Why couldn't she have died in an act of heroism, leaving behind that Space
Tree wreckage seen at the dimensional portal whenever Z drops in to report
to the boss?  What a story  that would've been: Tenchi trying to exact
revenge for his mother's death at Z's hands, and Z trouncicng him as well --
it would've taken the whole family to bring Z down.  Now *that* wouldve been
an epic.

But no, we get Z hiding under a sheepskin while the Chobi-maru sails past.

It was irritating enough that the female cast of the first two OVA's got
regulated to bit-player status, but I thought the total dumbing-down of
Mihoshi was reprehensible.  I liked the ditzy-but-but-immensely-competent
portrayal of her in the first two OVA's, the shapely Columbo rather than the
blombe bimbo, who's sole purpose is to write letters home and baby-sit
Ryo-ohki.  Sad.

Whenever I feel a need for a TM!R fix, I go back and reread my own
fanfiction, or those stories that inspired it.  It's much easier to
recapture the ambiance of adventure and chaos that first caught my eye, than
to rely on the third OVA.  I almost hope that a fourth is never produced...

                Jeff

Jeffery (Jeff) Harris
JLHOnami@mchsi.com

Author of "The Harem Saga": http://www.tmffa.com/member.html?id=524