[tenchi:106049] The strange relationship of Dual and Evangelion ^_^

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Gregory Himes <gdhimes@yahoo.com>
subject [tenchi:106049] The strange relationship of Dual and Evangelion ^_^
date Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:22:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- Cody Riebe <stephangrothisgod@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just read a review from Robert's Anime Corner Store
> (http://www.animecornerstore.com/dual.html) where the
> reviewer basically says Dual! is just a bad Eva
> ripoff. Lots of people seem to think that. I remember
> reading somewhere where he talked about how it was
> based on Eva, but in respect to, not making fun of.
>
> I saw Dual! before Eva and I thought both were very
> good. Dual, obviously, was meant to be taken far less
> serious. I don't see the problem in using something as
> a springboard.

I find it fascinating how people who obviously have no background of
other anime keep saying things like that about many anime.  Hundreds of
anime were based on the layout of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, and
dozens of shows are based on the setups providxed in EVA.  However, it
is clearly obvious that these people have no experience before writing
such reviews, because just these two shows BSSM/EVA, are based on
concepts provided by other shows MUCH MUCH older than these two.
You can use American concepts to provide the same analog.  Superheroes
started in the early 20's and 30's (but were based on concepts much
earlier, such as Hercules and Gilgamesh), and the genre exploded.
Today, there are still dozens of new superhero concepts (with their own
original themes and backgorunds) released every year, actually
published in print (because there are hundreds published on the web now
- many horrible, but many quite good).  Does this mean that every one
of them are rip-offs of Superman, the Green Lantern, even the Lone
Ranger?  Hollywood stole the Seven Samurai and remade it...  but what
resulted was an excellent film.  In the change they managed to keep the
films concepts and remake it into a classic western, for a differenct
culture.  Both films were excellent, and both should be watched.  The
same goes for EVA and Dual.  Obviously the reviewers aren't willing to
see things openly.
I saw both Dual and EVA, and counting the first 16 eps of EVA, I liked
Dual a bit more.  Do I put it down for homages to SEVERAL (not just
EVA) previous anime?  Hell no!  That just makes some of it more fun.
And, of course, most of the show shows Kajishima's universe quite
clearly (including his pseudo-harem tendancies).

After all, if we're going to be so petty, let's berate and burn all
copies of Evangelion for ripping off from mecha and angst based anime
from the 30 years previous to it...

<sheesh, I hate this crap>

Personally, I don't think anything should be remade, unless you can add
something striking and unique to it.  (i.e., why the hell Psycho was
remade was unexplainable). -- I dont see a problem here...

Complete address changes: Tenchi OVA 3 and Galaxy Police images!
http://projkutani.castledragmire.com/greg/MSC/PAN/Pans.html
BLOW your bookmarks, FRELL your favorites, use the new URL!
or visit the delapidated site ---> www.TenchiMuyo.150m.com

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited