[tenchi:106025] Re: WoW/FFXI

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:106025] Re: WoW/FFXI
date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:14:53 -0800

I joined a raiding guild in WoW, but was forced to leave after a month or so as I
simply didn't have the time needed to invest in it.  Four nights a week of 4-5 hours
of raiding was more than I could afford to spare, particularly when I decided to
take a couple of night classes.  If you've got the time to raid, then yes there's
plenty to do.  But if you're limited to the five man instances and UBRS, then it's
another matter, imo.  Though I suspect that the recent changes to limit Strat and

Scholo to five man parties will help somewhat.  People will actually be able to complete
the quests in there with pick-up groups (instead of only being able to visit with
ten man raids)...

A shame, too, since I enjoy raiding.

For FFXI, I've been busy gathering my avatars (something I could probably have finished
already if I'd put in some effort), doing exp quests (odd-ball quests - often NPC
escorts - that reward an item that grants exp when used; most can be repeated
once per week), leveling up the new NPC adventuring companion that was added several
months ago (and that I'm finally starting to invest some time and effort in), and
raising my weapon skill levels (something that doesn't happen automatically in exp

parties when you're a white mage).  My Linkshell has also been putting a lot of energy
into doing the Chains of Promathea mission series, and we're probably about 40% of
the way through (it's a bit hard to tell, since we're coming up on a particularly

large cluster of fights).  I got rank 10 in Bastok a while back, and did enough of
the Zilart missions to get Sky access, as well.  Would like to finish them eventually,
and there's now a reason to do so beyond the story since they added a little
extra mission in CoP which has an AMAZING earring item reward.

Like you, I think that the FFXI expansion looks interesting.  The Assault stuff reminds
me of the Lost Dungeons expansion for EQ.  And Besieged just sounds odd.  I'm wondering
how an attack on a city will be handled, particularly when you might have
visiting low level players.  Less than a week, now.

I'm highly suspicious of Vanguard, though it has the potential to be good.  Warhammer
On-line I'm a lot more up-beat about, though it's still too early to really tell,
imo.  I've also been playing DDO occasionally, but that's definitely not for
everyone.  It's a very unique game, and is definitely a game that requires players
with the right mind-set.

junior

--

Search field Search string