[tenchi:106018] Genshiken (was: Re: Seeking fanservice anime titles...)

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Luriko-Ysabeth <iac@umich.edu>
subject [tenchi:106018] Genshiken (was: Re: Seeking fanservice anime titles...)
date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:11:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, AstroNerdBoy wrote:

> Luriko-Ysabeth mentioned "Genshiken."  I didn't mention it because it isn't a fanservice
or ecchi title.

Well... *it* isn't, Kujiun (the series the Genshiken characters are
watching religiously) *is* -- one need only watch the scene where the
fungiphile is practically fellating the mushroom to be convinced of that,
and a fair amount of the humor in Genshiken reminds me of the humor in the
other series rep mentioned as examples.

> That said, as a member of a mailing list, that makes you otaku enough to
> enjoy this anime, though I believe those who are BIG sci-fi/fantasy fans
> in the U.S. will appreciate this too.

My sister got me to watch it with her with the words "You liked *Otaku no
Video*, didn't you?"

> It is unfortunate that Media Blasters has the R1 license for the anime
> because that means the subtitles aren't going to respect Japanese
> culture much, but Del Rey has the official English translation of the manga
> and that has been done proper (mostly).

I didn't notice any blatant violations when I was watching it; maybe they
used a different translator than whatever one you're thinking of?

The goods-and-doujinshi store on an upper story that they first visited in
the second or third (IIRC) episode reminded me of the used-CD store in
LA's Little Tokyo where I bought several Tenchi (and a crapload of YYH)
CDs, so that was fun in a different way.

Sincerely,
Luriko-Ysabeth, hon otaku | member in good standing of #WEIRD# | GDI
Kendappa Clan | Sosai/Pooh-Bah for life of the Washuu-sensei Rules club
GSI of Washuu-Skuldism | member of too many organizations to list here
"Look, 'the Church' only believes THREE things, and the Unitarians don't
believe one of them."	-- me after Yet Another Religious Debate
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~iac/weird.html   (or ~iac/me.html)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited