[tenchi:105959] Re: US version of Tenchi OVA 3 out today

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject [tenchi:105959] Re: US version of Tenchi OVA 3 out today
date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:34:38 -0700
Dr. Briefs wrote:
> Well, this is it.. Today is the day that Funimation releases the first
> volume of the third Tenchi OVA series.  It contains three episodes, and
> uses the same front cover art as the Japanese version--the one with
> Ryouko on a white background.

Also, the cover is reversible, and features the volume 2 and 3 artwork
on the inside (Aeka and Sasami). No inserts to speak of, just a
Funimation ad.

Regarding the dub (and trying to avoid spoilers) - mostly we have the
same dub cast we've had on releases just prior to GXP. We already knew
that Petrea Burchard wouldn't be back - she's replaced by Mona Marshall,
who one Funimation staffer apparently felt was hard to distinguish from
Petrea's Ryoko (I have to disagree with this - I don't think she's bad
as Ryoko, but she's definitely a change). I think we already knew that
Mihoshi would be played by Rebecca Forstadt, and Katsuhito and Nobuyuki
by Bob Pappenbrook. At first, I thought that Matt Miller had been
replaced as well, but he is back as Tenchi...he just sounds less like
Kermit.

Now, here's the question: since the new OVA includes flashbacks to the
previous OVAs, how do they handle changes in dub voices? As it turns
out, they've redubbed (and retranslated) those scenes.

> On a somewhat related note, I snapped some pics at AX2005, mostly of
> cosplayers.  Those of you interested in seeing them can take a look at
> http://gblahg.blogspot.com/2005/07/anime-expo.html

I'm pretty sure the bike-riding one was Kos-Mos from Xenosaga. I suspect
that all the blue-haired cosplayers in that area were portraying
variants of Kos-Mos but I could be wrong (I know almost nothing about
Xenosaga). One of them had a vulcan cannon type of prop with barrels
that actually rotated (albeit slowly).

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list