[tenchi:105888] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105888] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:45:33 -0500
----- Original Message -----
To: tenchi@usagi.org
Subject: [tenchi:105887] Re: Re:OVA 19
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:03:01 -0500

> Junior,
>
> > Could be.  Its been a while since I last watched it, and I've
> watched both the sub and the dub multiple times.<
>
>       It's been a while for myself, but this was definitely one of
> the issues that came up in the old sub vs. dub discussions.
>
> > Nope.  Doesn't matter.  Even if Tenchi went through the first two
> OVA series and didn't show any supernatural abilities until the
> confrontation in the recent episode, then the comment would have
> qualified as proper foreshadowing.  We might have believed that it
> referred to one thing, but it would merely have been misdirection
> on the part of Kajishima.  Though that particular method wouldn't
> have been the best way of handling things.<
>
>       I believe that the same can be said regarding Misaki's
> handling of Ryouko.  In every case where it was used in OVA 1 - 2,
> it was an indication that there was something more to the
> individual.  Airi's 'smackdown' of Ryouko is the only event that
> people seem to consider as somehow turning Ryouko into a
> pushover.  With or without its presence, I feel that episode 13
> was a good enough illustration of how Misaki is unusually strong.

Your argument is illogical.  You claim that incidents in OVA 1-2 prove that Ryoko
can only beaten by individuals with "something more" (in the case of both Kagato and
Clay, this was power equivalent to or loaned by a Choushin), but then claim that
Airi's trouncing of Ryoko doesn't disprove this.  All without offering any evidence
that Airi has a similar amount of power.

Either Airi has that much power and there's evidence to back it up, or Misaki's scene
with Ryoko didn't mean anything beyond comic relief.

> > The best foreshadowing is the type that doesn't tip you off that
> its foreshadowing until after the event has happened.  Setting
> things up without telegraphing them.<
>
>       Agreed, but the issue is that I and a number of other Tenchi
> fans saw foreshadowing, but others did not.  Going beyond episode
> 13, Kajishima gave us more hints in the STM novels, but aside from
> one somewhat cryptic narratorial comment, it was more of the same:
> Misaki's unusual strength.
>

> > 1.)  Have Misaki show up in one of Sasami's dreams.  In this
> case, it would have represented Tsunami having an unconscious
> awareness that there was something abnormal about Misaki, but
> could be misdirected when Sasami and Tsunami decided that her
> > appearence there was only as a result of her closeness to Sasami.<
>
>       The Choushin can only forsee causality in connection with non-
> anomalous aspects.  That was the reason that they undertook the
> experiment in the first place.
>

> > 2.)  Have Misaki make a trip to Earth with her mother to visit
> her daughters again, and have an unusual reaction to Tenchi during
> the fight with the GP (which is indirectly the result of meddling
> by Tokimi's agent).<
>
>       Tenchi returned the counterreactor/Misaki to a 'normal'
> state, not an abnormal state.  Another possibly foreshadowing
> response was Misaki's attraction to Tenchi (very different from
> Funaho) in episode 13 which can and is often dismissed as an
> expression of Misaki's affectionate nature.
>

> > 3.)  Don't have Misaki come to Earth, but instead have her mother
> provide a seeming throwaway line that hints about an unusual
> status for Misaki.<
>
>       How would this come about?  Seto is here because of Noike and
> Tenchi (supposedly).  She could say that she has two unusual
> daughters, but it wouldn't have added to my perception that Misaki
> *is* unusual.  It would seem less than subtle, more of that
> telling vs. showing that is disliked.
>

> > Three ideas that all provide foreshadowing of Misaki's role in
> the recent episode.  I'm sure that it would be possible to come up
> with plenty more.<
>
>       Two of them don't fit with the Tenchi universe and one them
> strikes me as less than subtle, the equivalen of a professor
> saying "this might be on the exam".

I'm hindered by my lack of familiarity with Misaki's status, but I have to strongly
disagree with your assessment.  With regards to #1, if Tsunami was able to pick up
that Tenchi might appear later in the geneology, there's nothing to prevent her from

also unconsciously realizing that Misaki might be more unusual than people thought
- particularly since from what I'm understanding Misaki is around specifically to
overcome the interference of Tsunami and her sisters.  With regards to #2, I'm talking

about Misaki having an abnormal reaction to Tenchi (something odder than attempting
to squeeze the life out of him), not the other way around (which is what your response
seems to suggest you're thinking of).  #3 is up to the writer to come up with,
but can be done by good writers.  A stray comment about a Misaki oddity in direct
relation to either the Choushin or to Tenchi would fulfill the requirement.  Perhaps
an odd outburst that she had directed at Tsunami or Washu (since my understanding
is
that she's supposed to be aimed at counteracting meddling by the two of them and Tokimi).
That last one would probably be rather vague, but at least it would be something.

Instead we have the clown of episode 13 suddenly revealed as a cosmic player.

junior

--

http://datingsearch.lycos.com

Search field Search string