[tenchi:105886] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105886] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:20:12 -0500
----- Original Message -----
To: tenchi@usagi.org
Subject: [tenchi:105885] Re: Re:OVA 19
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:00:05 -0500

> AstroNerdBoy,
>
> > I don't remember Yosho telling Tenchi he has a power that hasn't
> been awakened.  In episode 5, he does ask if Tenchi is determined
> to rescue Ryoko and gives Tenchi Tenchi-ken.<
>
>       He's talking about the English dub, not the original
> Japanese, yet another reason why dubbing liberties continue to
> confuse fans.

Could be.  Its been a while since I last watched it, and I've watched both the sub
and the dub multiple times.

> > Now Tsunami is another thing.  In episode 6, she does tell him to
> believe in his own power (IIRC).  Had K-sensei had his way, there
> would have been more foreshadowing with Tsunami telling Sasami
> that they must believe in Tenchi (Tsunami could have freed herself
> from Kagato, but doing so would have destroyed a large portion of
> the solar system).<
>
>       Yet, had Tenchi not manifest LHWs in the first two OVAs and
> simply beaten Kagato in another fashion, Tsunami's line would have
> been regarded as just another way telling Tenchi to believe in
> himself.  So, no matter what foreshadowing or hint is give, unless
> it is made absolutely clear so that every brain-dead viewer
> will 'get' it, it's bad storytelling.  -_-#

Nope.  Doesn't matter.  Even if Tenchi went through the first two OVA series and didn't
show any supernatural abilities until the confrontation in the recent episode, then
the comment would have qualified as proper foreshadowing.  We might have
believed that it referred to one thing, but it would merely have been misdirection
on the part of Kajishima.  Though that particular method wouldn't have been the best
way of handling things.

The best foreshadowing is the type that doesn't tip you off that its foreshadowing
until after the event has happened.  Setting things up without telegraphing them.

> > So there's a little foreshadowing with Tenchi, but things often
> happen in stories without foreshadowing.  However there was
> foreshadowing with Misaki, just not in the form that we westerners
> would like (meaning the anime).<
>
>       Let's make this simple.  If it would have been so easy to
> foreshadow Misaki's connection with the counter reaction, how
> precisely could have Kajishima have done it which would have been
> satisfactory?  Keep in mind that each episode is only about 30
> minutes.  Also keep in mind that a counter reaction to the
> Choushin's meddling isn't mentioned until midway through episode
> 19 and the Choushin don't actually explain what they were doing
> until the end.  Please, do tell.  ]:)

1.)  Have Misaki show up in one of Sasami's dreams.  In this case, it would have represented
Tsunami having an unconscious awareness that there was something abnormal about Misaki,
but could be misdirected when Sasami and Tsunami decided that her
appearence there was only as a result of her closeness to Sasami.
2.)  Have Misaki make a trip to Earth with her mother to visit her daughters again,
and have an unusual reaction to Tenchi during the fight with the GP (which is indirectly
the result of meddling by Tokimi's agent).
3.)  Don't have Misaki come to Earth, but instead have her mother provide a seeming
throwaway line that hints about an unusual status for Misaki.

Three ideas that all provide foreshadowing of Misaki's role in the recent episode.
I'm sure that it would be possible to come up with plenty more.

junior

--

http://datingsearch.lycos.com

Search field Search string