[tenchi:105880] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>
subject [tenchi:105880] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
--- AstroNerdBoy <usr1054@astronerdboy.com> wrote:

> >What is the dramatic significance of Misaki being a goddess if the incident is
never
> delved int by any of the characters? It's a smack in the face of reason-Yes.  Reason

> can
> exist in stories with supernatural content.
>
> I wouldn't call Misaki a "goddess."  The Choushin are goddesses if the term is to
be
> used (though Tsunami discouraged Jurai from worshiping her as such).  It was the

> Choushin's experiments (specifically Tokimi-sama's) that caused the creation of
the
> Counteractor as I understand it.

Interesting.  Did you get that from the episode, or the other materials?  I did not

gather that from watching the episode.

>  I suspect that's why she went after Tokimi rather
> than Washu or Tsunami.

That would be a reasonable conclusion.

> Here's something to think about.  When Tenchi sprouted LHW's in episode 6, there
was no
> real forshadowing about it (discounting his name, which means "Heaven and Earth",

> something Western fans would mostly be ignorant of).

I disagree.  First, Yosho mentions that Tenchi has a power.  Next, Tsunami asks Tenchi
trust in his own power.  I believe that both these events offer foreshadowing that
would
allow a reasonable person to accept a conclusion that tenchi can create LHWs.  True,
no
one ever mentions that Tenchi can create LHWs, but the exact nature of the surprise

doesn't have to be specific as long as the conclusion does not seem unreasonable.
Even
if Yosho and Tsunami had said nothing, the revelation of Tenchi's LHWs would not have

been an out-of-the-blue kind of revelation.  He is the hero of the story.  We learned

only one episode ago that he is a Juraian prince (setting the stage for more revelations

about Tenchi's nature to come more easily).  When it seemed s dark, and Tenchi without
way to win, is it really surprising that he would save the day in a miraculous fashion?

That is a common element of fiction.

  Indeed, some people felt
> Tenchi had died in episode 5 and that Tsunami may have given him his powers when
she
> brought him back to life.  However such was not the case.  Tsunami's power was merely

> resonating with Tenchi's own power.  K-sensei had to clarify that in "101
> Secrets."

This example doesn't translate very well to the current situation.  Tenchi asks what

happened, and is given an explanation (albeit unclear) from Tsunami in the same episode

as the one where we see that Tenchi has been torn apart.  The Misaki incident doesn't

have the explanation.  It is completely looked over in the episode.

> Anyway, Tenchi's ability to use LHW's was one thing, but then to do material
> conversions was something that was unique (I'm guessing the Choushin can do it but

> others can't).  It was out of left field if you will.  I think we Western fans mostly

> excused that because at that time, the series was still young (at only six episodes)
so
> anything that happened was acceptable.

Surprises can happen in a story without explanation. If the surprise is reasonable,
the
dynamics of the story can allow it.  I think you don't fully understand my complaint.
An
unannounced surprise, even a partcularly shocking one,  is not a bad thing.  As a
matter
of fact I can enjoy them quite a bit.  An unannounced surprise that seemingly has
no
reason is another thing.  That is what I am complaining about.

> Well it still could be explained with the OAV 3 Special.  Actually, Misaki, Tennyo,

> Kiyone, and Mihoshi are all on my lists of things that need to be addressed in episode

> 20!  *nods*

I kinda hope that the next story is lighter in tone, myself.  I would be a lot happier
see something along the lines of Manatsu no Eve or Episode 7.  Something fun, or
unashamed action or funny.  But as long as it's done well, I wouldn't mind knowing
some
of those answers either!
nik

Search field Search string