[tenchi:105875] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>
subject [tenchi:105875] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:25:46 -0700 (PDT)
--- True Sheol <sheol@mail.ev1.net> wrote:

> Reply at end.
>
> <Spoilers>

> >And why is she scared of them?  Because they were able to
> casually beat her in a physical confrontation.
>
> Except that Airi has done that too, and we don't seem to be
> speculating on whether or not Airi is a goddess.<
>
>      Neither situations with Misaki and Washuu were physical
> confrontations as they weren't even trying to hurt her.  Also,
> Ryouko did kick Washuu for throwing her into the lake... and it
> had very little effect on Washuu.

How about this?  Ryoko and Ayeka in episode 7, fighting in the hallway.  Now that
we
have identified Ayeka, Yosho, and Airi, and some GP  as  comparable in strength, I
ope
that puts the "foreshadowing" to rest in the Ryoko/Misaki case.

> >I'm sorry if you don't see it, but its basically a massive
> failure on the part of Kajishima.  This isn't a class where people
> are expected to read extraneous materials that aren't necessarily
> assigned in class.  Its an animated show that's presented as
> entertainment, and as such people should be able to view it as its
> own product.<
>
>      That's a non-sequitor.  1. Foreshadowing is used in writing
> in accordance with how much shock/surprise that the writer wants
> to convey.  2. The audience in which the show was *intended* still
> had hints.

As to #2, why even bother animating it, then?  Why not confine it to the books,
particularly if you're going to do a shoddy job with the execution of such a revelation.

Misaki's name isn't even mentioned.  It seems to me a "why bother" situation.  He
doesn't
have enough time to explain what is happening to Misaki but puts it in there anyway?

What kind of storytelling is that?  If at the end of THE GODFATHER, Michael Corleone

pulled off a mask revealing the head of an alien praying mantis and bit off the head
of
his wife, we would have walked away from the movie saying "gee, that sure was a dumb

movie" I'm not sure that the scene in the novel explaining that Michael was an alien

could redeem the senselessness and it's effect on the story.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs