[tenchi:105873] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>
subject [tenchi:105873] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:01:09 -0700 (PDT)
--- True Sheol <sheol@mail.ev1.net> wrote:

> Reply at end.
>
> <Spoilers>

> >Actually, from what we've seen in the new OVA series, there's
> nothing noteworthy about knocking Ryoko around.  Remember our
> thread a while back about the fact that Ryoko seems to be a
> physical pushover lately?<
>
>      Who is the one that Ryouko is terrified of?  Misaki.  Who
> else is Ryouko afraid of?  Washuu.

C'mon TS.  I respect you, man, but that sort of reasoning is dumb.  Let's please remember

that there is an entirely different, reasonable, logical, and apparent explanation
for
the Misaki scene- it's funny.    Quite frankly, I don't wish to go back through the

series and wonder if Taro taking a dump in the bath has significance to it that I
am
missing.

> >I strongly doubt that everyone who watches Tenchi in Japan is a
> die-hard "must have it all" fan.  But the argument being presented
> here is that everyone who watches Tenchi in Japan is indeed a
> die-hard "must have it all" fan.<
>
>      No, the argument is that Kajishima chose to primarily focus
> on his core audience, the folks that have bought the published
> material, and has subsequently treated the OVAs as *part* of the
> presentation.  Everyone else might need some neck bracing for the
> whiplash.

And what is the excuse for that?  Why can't he be expected to make his story LOGICAL?

The fact that it is barely alluded to in a less popular medium gives him license to
make
the show non-sensical to regular viewers?  it's unreasonable and unfair to assume
that
people will be able to assume what is going on.  Half the Japanese audience?  What
about
the other half?  What about all the international fans who have no access to that

information?  What about the Japanese fans who read that other material who didn't
pick
up on the vague hinting of the novels?
For Kajishima, it was not important to include any explanation, and that is poor
storytelling.  Like a joke without a punchline.
nik

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited