[tenchi:105863] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105863] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:08:09 -0500
----- Original Message -----
To: tenchi@usagi.org
Subject: [tenchi:105852] Re: Re:OVA 19
Date: Wed,  6 Apr 2005 00:14:37 -0500

> > Misaki?  Najya/Noike/Kagato?    If this stuff is explained later
> (even if the answers were alluded to I would be happy, but there's
> nothing about the Misaki thing) in the OVA it's cool, but as is I
> think it is poor storytelling.<
>
>       Again, you are demanding the animated medium to be the one
> and only form of transmission.  You want eight years of written
> material to be presented to you before you take in OVA 3.  That is
> completely understandable as an English-only fan, but it isn't
> realistic give the nature of the Japanese animation industry as
> well as the market for licensing foreign books.

I don't think they're demanding that.  I think they're just stating that it would
have been a good idea to include at least a hint or two within the animation.  Something
that didn't look like a clue when it first appeared, but that you could look
back at later and say, "Oh!  Now I see how that's important!"

No, Kajishima shouldn't be required to put the entire backstory in the animation.
But he should still be writing with the understanding that there will be people who
don't care to read or don't have access to the novels and doujinshi.  Dropping a
mild hint or two that there's something unusual about Misaki is just basic good storytelling.

Otherwise, you're dealing with Deus ex Machina.

The closest equivalent I can think of would be to have Lucas have Jar Jar Binks suddenly
save Anakin's life in Episode 3 by whipping out a lightsaber and defeating a half
dozen jedi single-handedly and then disappear from the rest of the movie without
a word or another mention of him.  And then have Lucas turn around and say, "Well
didn't you read the Expanded Universe novels where Jar Jar was a Sith assassin secretly
in the employ of Darth Sidius?"

(ignoring the fact that Lucas seems to have no problem trampling over the Expanded
Universe when it suits him - not that I mind that, by and large)

junior

--

http://datingsearch.lycos.com

Search field Search string