[tenchi:105859] Re: Re:OVA 19

to <tenchi@usagi.org>
from AstroNerdBoy <usr1054@astronerdboy.com>
subject [tenchi:105859] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:00:32 -0600

> From: nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>
>
> --- True Sheol <sheol@mail.ev1.net> wrote:
>
> > Reply at end.

> I still find the idea that the joke from episode 13 had any meaning other than a
humorous
one to be absurd.

This reminded me of something.  I had folks get annoyed with me because of my ranting
over Pioneer's poor subtitle translations and domestication both of the subtitles
and dub.  I argued that in K-sensei's world, even the little things mean something

and as such, this is the one anime title where accuracy is very critical.  Mistranslations
have given us things like "Choushin War" (wrong -- it was a contest not a war), "Tenchi
will make a choice regarding the girls" (implying he'll pick a single
girl), "Grandma" (UGH!), and on and on.

Mihoshi getting into Washu's lab and causing things to go nuts is a joke, yet there
is meaning behind the laughter.  There were jokes about Ryoko when Zero copied her,
yet again behind the laughter, a story was being told.  I'd have to rewatch TM!R
from the begining to recall all of the jokes that had story points behind them, but
my point is that the Misaki joke with her slamming Ryoko around had more behind it
which we didn't see at the time.

Tenchi Muyo! FAQ
http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi
"...taking your attacks is as easy as farting." -- Genkai-san, "Yu Yu Hakusho"

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs