[tenchi:105850] Re: Re:OVA 19

to <tenchi@usagi.org>
from AstroNerdBoy <usr1054@astronerdboy.com>
subject [tenchi:105850] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:07:32 -0600

> From: nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>

> > > <<cut explanations and theories on Misaki from TS>>
> > >
> > >   It isn't so much that he explains or alludes to Misaki's condition in other
mediums
> > > that pisses me off, but what chaps my ass is that there really is no hint in
the OVAs
> > > themselves.  To the majority of people who watch Tenchi, there is a big glaring
"what
> > the
> > > hell??"
> > > "Throw us a frikkin' bone here!" - Dr. Evil
> > > nik
> > >

> > The majority of people where?
> >
> > See, that's the million-dollar question isn't it.  TM!R wasn't written for us
poor,
> > English-speaking slobs.  It was written for Japanese people living in Japan who
can
> > speak and read Japanese and who know Japanese culture and religion.
> >
> > K-sensei knew that after OAV 2, there would be no more canon TM!R anime episodes
for a
> > while.  Because he wanted to answer Japanese fans questions, he started writing
the
> > three "Shin Tenchi Muyo" novels.
>
> And that amounts to "blah blah blah" for  any viewer, whether Japanese or American,
if
> they don't know about, can't get ahold of, or don't care about other mediums that
he
> chooses to work in.  The audience is supposed to do intensive research in order
> justify parts of the animated show that seem nonsensical?
>
> It just steams my beans :)
> nik

I can understand that. But for the Japanese, they didn't have to do intensive research.
They could walk to the bookstore and buy the novels or try to pick up copies of doujinshi.
Casual fans won't care for the other mediums (doujinshi and books)
because they won't be fired up to learn more.  Fans like me on the other hand, would
be out there buying the novels the moment they were released!  *lol*

IMO, K-sensei did the right thing.  His doujinshi titles are hot sellers.  There are
some older doujinshi titles that sell for an ton of money!  A year ago, the entire
K-sensei doujinshi collection sold for over $2000 in Japan.  So Japanese fans
certainly are willing to pony out the money for TM!R (as seen in the ¥4700 per episode
price that the Japanese pay for OAV 3).

His novels are easily available and they were good sellers.

As I said earlier, there were several factors that lead to the novels (and more doujinshi).

1) AIC & Pioneer's decision to go with cheaper spinoff Tenchi titles rather than canon
TM!R OAV's.  So K-sensei knew it was going to be a long time (nearly a decade as it
turned out) before he could continue his story in anime form.

2) Novels and doujinshi are cheaper and quicker to produce than anime.  Thus with
this media, K-sensei could do a lot more at only a fraction of the cost.  The Japanese
fans would then get the TM!R goodness they craved (answers to questions,
background of charcters, etc.) and K-sensei would get paid.

Anyway, I'll repeat my plea for Japanese-knowledgable folks to help us bring the TM!R
goodness to English. *bambi eyes*

Tenchi Muyo! FAQ
http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi
"...taking your attacks is as easy as farting." -- Genkai-san, "Yu Yu Hakusho"

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs