[tenchi:105849] Re: Re:OVA 19

to tenchi@usagi.org
from nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>
subject [tenchi:105849] Re: Re:OVA 19
date Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
--- True Sheol <sheol@mail.ev1.net> wrote:

> Reply at end.
>

> <<SPOILERS>>

> nik wrote:
> >>It isn't so much that he explains or alludes to Misaki's condition in
> other mediums that pisses me off, but what chaps my ass is that there
> really is no hint in the OVAs themselves.  To the majority of people who
> watch Tenchi, there is a big glaring "what the hell??"<<
>
>      As AstroNerdBoy said, what people are we talking about?  The reason
> that we even had GXP and OVA 3 was because Kajishima's books have sold so
> well.

Yeah, I appreciate that Kajishima made the doujinshi, the 101, the artwork and the
novels
to provide the backstory (as well as put a couple bucks in his pocket, which is perfectly

fine) even if it was not and probably never will be available to English speaking
fans.
What I don't like is the idea that the storytelling in the animated aspect has to
suffer
needlessly by inserting obscure references to Kajishima's other works on Tenchi.
Why is
that hard to understand?

>      Still, even within the *first* OVA there were subtle clues as to the
> nature of Tenchi, Sasami, Tsunami, and Washuu.

Misaki?  Najya/Noike/Kagato?    If this stuff is explained later (even if the answers

were alluded to I would be happy, but there's nothing about the Misaki thing) in the
OVA
it's cool, but as is I think it is poor storytelling.

>      Indeed, one of my first posts on the AIC BBS (circa September 2001)
> was mentioning how I believed that Tenchi was a kami.

I don't have problem with Tenchi being a god.  That is a reasonable explanation to

questions concerning Tenchi and the events surrounding his life.  Tenchi being a god
is
explained in the last episode (certainly not in detail, but I'm not sure I'd even
like to
see that. Though a little more clarity on that issue would be good, in my opinion)
but
there's other things that came out of left field which defy both logic and conventional

narrative.  Why not just make Amagasaki a god?  There is the same amount of evidence
in
the OVA suggesting that Amagasaki is a god as is Misaki (meaning none).  You might
think
that's a bit of an extreme example, and it is, but I only make it to underscore the
lack
of any evidence which could lead a reasonable person to even entertain the idea that

Misaki was a god.  It goes beyond a simple lack of foreshadowing and ventures into
the
random.

> >>More things that annoy me:
>
> Does this new info have bearing on Tenchi's name?<<
>
>      The kanji used for Tenchi's name is the exact same kanji used in the
> Kojiki.  As mentioned by native Japanese, that was very strange.  I likened
> it to naming a child, "Mt. Rushmore".  So, in a sense, Kajishima told us
> that Tenchi is great than and existed before the Choushin.

Interesting.  I have always wondered how the name sounded to the Japanese ear (the
kanji
as well).

> >>Where exactly does Yosho fit in on all this? (ie: how does he know that
> Tenchi has his own power?)<<
>
>      Youshou's name was probably also a hint that he was leading up to
> Tenchi.

How do you mean?

> Yet, that would have been Kajishima's way of hinting to the
> viewer.  The character Youshou himself suspected that Tenchi was special in
> some way, though Kajishima has not told us how.  This might be covered in
> the OVA 3 Special.

I do hope so.

> >>And did Yosho realize that Tenchi was a Godlike being?<<
>
>      No.  The 101 Q&A clearly states that Tenchi had far more power than
> Youshou suspected.

Which question?

> >>Where is Kiyone?  Do we ever get to learn what happened to her?<<
>
>      I suspect that we will find out in the OVA 3 Special.

Again, I do hope so.

> >>If Kajishima originally intended for Tenchi to choose a girl in this
> series, who would it have been?  The structure of this last OVA seems to
> favor none of the original cast except maybe Sasami, and hints at his
> choice being Noike?.<<
>
>      All indications are that Kajishima never intended that Tenchi choose a
> particular girl.

Perhaps I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't he say that the 3rd OVA would reveal

Tenchi's choice when he first started working on it a few years back?  I was under
the
impression that the higher ups frowned on his desicion to do that and made him change
his
mind.

 In fact, the 101 mentions that the family-like
> arrangement (with no girl being seen as a romantic love) was his choice.
> Now, the 101 did allude that Sasami's getting older would change something,
> but we don't know what.  Looking at Kajishima's other works should also
> give you a good idea as to how he has long intended to resolve the multiple-
> girl/one guy dilemma.

I hope not.  That feels cheap and greasy, like a cop out
nik

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited