[tenchi:105656] Re: <OT-AL> Half Life 2 Mini Review from rep

to "TenchiML" <tenchi@usagi.org>
from "Bear Powell" <replicant@northstate.net>
subject [tenchi:105656] Re: <OT-AL> Half Life 2 Mini Review from rep
date Wed, 8 Dec 2004 02:41:09 -0500
[tenchi:105645] <OT-AL> Half Life 2 Mini Review from rep----- Original
Message -----
> From: John King (KTK)
>Yo Rep.  Still having problems with the ML (which I have been too lazy
>lately to deal with).
>
>I was disappointed by the game, personally.  It was too short, for one
>thing.  It was pretty but I didn't find it particularly mindblowing.  The
>gameplay was to me >about the same as the original HL, with two exceptions:
>bugbait and gravgun.  I didn't care for the gravgun.  There wasn't ENOUGH
>you could do with it.  The >bugbait was neat but that section was way too
>short.
>
>The game has polish, I'll give it that.  It's definitely an exceptional
>game.  I was just expecting more innovation in the gameplay.  I was getting
>bored just as it >ended.  I give it an 80.  For 6 years of development, I
>expected more.  : /
>
>I'm too spoiled by Deus Ex.  I expect that level of depth in gameplay from
>everything now.
>
>Now CS:Source...  I _HATE_ CounterStrike, but I wasted a week playing
>Source.
>
>-Kuuta

Meh, you'll get it figured out. I had to notify my isp of some
of the servers that hitoshi is using so it would allow certain
messages. Some of his servers with the 43.244.xx.xx range
get blocked for being on black lists.

Disappointed!?! BAH, Humbug! :-p
Too short? I sorta agree and disagree. I liked the length and
felt it gave a good experience, but I did want it to be longer. =)
I felt the graphics were awesome with the various particle effects,
effective use of shadows/lighting, brilliant water effects, and the
very well done textures. Only graphical thing I disliked was the
goober bullet-proof glass on gun turrets which looked like the
old green glass Coke bottles. :-/ Gameplay I did feel was very much
just like the original, but I loved that so it was good for me.

The Grav Gun and Bug Bait were sweet. Granted the GG could
have been used more, but it was effective for stopping objects
thrown at you, getting items in hard to reach places, and was
critical for beating the game. ~_^ Bug Bait was just too much fun
and I do wish you could have used it more, but it made sense in the
way it was utilized. Yeah, the hype behind it really hurt it in some
peoples minds, but I still feel it delivered what it set out to.

Deus Ex I still hear a lot of people rave about, but I still to
this day didn't care for it. It has some cool ideas ere and there,
but overall never caught my attention.

Counter Strike: Source owns every multiplayer FPS in existence
right now to me. Although, it'll probably never surpass Quake
which I spent a shitload of time playing for sheer fragness, but it
offers a completely different experience. Once they get the hitbox
detection remedied in CS:S you'll have the Bread-N-Butter game
continue for a few more years.

Now when do I get to be in a movie, Mr. Director? :-p I'll
be your Sancho Panza as we travel through jersey fighting
windmills :-o

--------------------------
Bear "replicant" Powell

"Be resolute, fear no sacrifice and surmount every
 difficulty to win victory." - Chairman Mao Tse Tung

***Currently Playing***
World of Warcraft (PC-MMORPG)
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Counter Strike: Source (PC-Steam Online)

***Future PC MMORPG Prospects***
Wish, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Imperator

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs