[tenchi:105651] Re: (OT) Monitor Question

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105651] Re: (OT) Monitor Question
date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:58:27 -0500
----- Original Message -----
To: "TenchiML" <tenchi@usagi.org>
Subject: [tenchi:105649] (OT) Monitor Question
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:43:13 -0500

> Hey guys, my old Compaq 17" monitor starting
> making the whistle of death sound so I knew the
> thing could quit at anytime. I picked up a 19" S910
> Compaq monitor from a friend. The thing is now
> every once in awhile the screen just sorta darkens
> for a moment in a "fluttering" sorta motion. Kinda
> like if you have a poor connection to the video card
> and wiggle it. I rechecke dmy connections and it
> seems to be solidly hooked up. I retried my old
> monitor and it's not havng this issue. I remember
> my friend never having any trouble with it at all. He
> only got rid of it because he got a new Sony 18"
> lcd. Any help is appreciated.

Maybe its not getting enough power?

Don't really know.  The other possibility is that there's an incompatibility with
your video card.  Compaq is notoriously proprietary about their systems, and its possible
that there's a weird incompatibility involved.

Or the new monitor might be "used" to the settings that your friend used it with,
and the different inputs that its getting from your video card might be messing things
up.  I hope that made sense.

On a somewhat related note, I'm having a problem with my PS2 and the controllers.

I turned on Star Ocean 3 the other night (which I've been working my way through),
and couldn't give any controller inputs.  I tested with a different controller (attached
to my old PS1), and it wouldn't work either.  I dropped a DVD into the PS2, and
the only thing that worked on the original controller was the down button.  When the
DVD menu got to an area that allowed horizontal movement of the highlight box, the
highlighted options started shifting rapidly (i.e. the up button didn't work, and

either the left or right button appeared to be stuck).  The other controller worked
fine.

I haven't tested with another game yet, so I'm not sure how that would affect things,
but the second controller worked fine when I tested things with no disc in the PS2.
It just won't work with Star Ocean.

Any ideas?

junior

--