[tenchi:105620] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Andy Turner <turner@mikomi.org>
subject [tenchi:105620] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.
date Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:27:23 -0500
On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 12:01:29PM -0700, AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> Andy!  I didn't know you were on the Tenchi ML.  Leave it to the
> controversial topics to bring out folks.  ;-P

Yeah, I've been here for... almost five years now.  I even posted occasionally
early on. :)

> > That isn't actually how it works, at least here in Maine.  We split
> > our votes based on their origin.  So we have 2 votes that are decided
> > by whatever the statewide majority is (for the votes granted by the
> > senate seats) and 1 vote is granted for the majority in each
> > congressional district.
> >

> I knew Maine was different.  You guys have four total electoral votes, right?

Right.

> > Personally I'm in favor of moving towards instant runoff voting.
>
> Like Louisiana has?

Do they?  Well I guess it's not humanly possible get absolutely everything wrong...

Hmm, looks like they only use it for overseas absentee ballets.

The main goal is to make it so that third parties aren't spoilers.  We would
see a lot more votes going to third parties, I think, if people didn't feel
obligated to pick between the lesser of two evils.  I think it would give
Green and Libertarian parties a stronger role, and I don't think that's a
bad thing.

--
Andy <turner@mikomi.org>

Search field Search string