[tenchi:105619] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105619] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.
date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:24:38 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> From: AstroNerdBoy <usr1054@astronerdboy.com>
To: <tenchi@usagi.org>
Subject: [tenchi:105606] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in  the majority of
US Voters.
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 6:50:24 -0700

> I said I'd stop, but this is educational...
>
> > Has nothing to do with elitism, as far as I can tell.  It would be if, by
> > the current system, the vote of the rural areas carries the equal amount of
> > power as that of the urban areas.  They don't.  They carry more.
>
> Want to know how each state is assigned electoral votes?
>
> 1. 2 for both senators
> 2. X for the number of congressmen (House of Representatives) of said state.
>
> The number of congressmen is determined by the census conducted every ten years.
In 2000, some states increased in power and some dropped in power based on representation.

However, as mentioned, the electoral votes aren't completely representational of the
population.  First, you have the handful of states so small that they don't even have
enough people in the state to equal the number of citizens that a single
congressman is supposed to represent.  Then you also have the fact that each state
has 2 senators, who are also counted for the electoral college votes.  So while gigantic
California has a number of electoral votes that roughly matches up to its
population, some of the tiny New England states have triple the weight that a purely
representational system would provide.

I think that's what's being referred to.

junior

--

Search field Search string

archive list