[tenchi:105590] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Michael Borgwardt <brazil@brazils-animeland.de>
subject [tenchi:105590] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.
date Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:04:20 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Joseph Riggs wrote:

> Every time someone brings up the idea that parties outside the big two
> should be more important, I'm reminded of Israel, and the way that small
> parties far outside the mainstream are able to have power far beyond
> what their representation in the Knesset would suggest.  The reason?
> The Prime Minister has to build a ruling coalition, and the two major
> parties never have enough votes to build a coalition without bringing in
> the little guys.  And you end up with some extreme groups having a
> larger voice than they should.

OTOH, it has been working very well in Germany and (I think) in most
of Europe. In Germany, a party needs a minimum of 5% of the votes to
get into parliament, which keeps out the real extremists, and the
smaller partners in coalition governments may have more influence than
their percentage would dictate, but in disagreements with the major
coalition partner, compromises nearly always tend strongly towards
the latter's position.

> Also, given the way that the elections for the Executive (President)
> work in the US, I don't know that it would have the effect that you
> think it would.  All that a small party would do is take votes from one
> candidate or the other, similar to the claimed effects of Perot in '92,
> or Nader in '00.  Its an all or nothing system.

Not necessarily. A small party candidate could transfer his electors
to one of the major candidates in exchange for the vice presidency
or a cabinet post, similar to the formation of a coalition government
in a parliamentary system.

But I suppose it would be too big a change to ever get accepted,
even apart of the vested interest of both big parties to prevent it.
Goes against too many traditions, e.g. the concept of "running mate"
which I gather is considered important in the US.

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
|   Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.           |
|       A Homepage for Elektra: http://brazils-animeland.de/elektra         |
|           Tenchi Fanfiction Reviews: http://brazils-animeland.de/tmffr    |
+-------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? --------------+

Search field Search string