[tenchi:105589] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105589] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.
date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:45:07 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bear Powell" <replicant@northstate.net>
To: <tenchi@usagi.org>
Subject: [tenchi:105587] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the    majority
of US Voters.
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:11:16 -0500

The only way to really replace it would be to go to a Parlimentary system with a Prime
Minister selected by the ruling party in one of the legislative houses.  Its a possibility,
but once again, I look at Israel, and shudder.

Incidentally, while you may slam the Gay Marriage issue, some people think that its
one of the reasons that Bush won.  There was an anti-Gay Marriage State Constitutional
Amendment up for vote in 11 different states yesterday, and its believed that
the single issue had more to do with drawing conservatives to the polls in those states
than even the presidential election did.  Of course, once they're at the polls, they
might as well vote for President.  I *think* Ohio was the state that had the
measure pass by a 6-1 ratio, and Ohio turned out to be the key state in the election.

Something else to ponder, just as a curious side note.  The Wall Street Journal's
on-line editorial page likes to refer to what it calls the "Roe Effect".  The basic
idea behind it is that since liberals are more in favor of abortion, they're more

likely to abort children before they're born, while conservatives are more likely
to carry them to term.  That suggests that more children are born in conservative
families than in liberal families, and since people often have a political outlook

that's similar to that of their parents, the suggestion is that any population that
allows abortion will gradually shift to a more conservative, anti-abortion mood (albeit
very slowly).

So one could make the argument that in a very real way, Bush's anti-gay marriage views
and his anti-abortion views played a role in his win, albeit one in a very indirect
way (since abortion has been legal for a few decades now).

Something to debate at your leisure.  I don't know that there's any real research
to support it or disprove it.

junior

--

Search field Search string