[tenchi:105582] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.

to <tenchi@usagi.org>
from "Bear Powell" <replicant@northstate.net>
subject [tenchi:105582] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.
date Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:42:46 -0500

The difference is now they got a few more seats in each,
plus got rid of Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle.

> No thanks.  The last thing we need is a close popular vote with that sort
> of
> system in place.  Then you'd see Florida all over again, but on a national
> scale.
> I live in California, so my generally conservative votes don't count for
> much on the
> national scene (Boxer...  ugh...), but I'm still happy to see the
> Electoral College in place.
> I don't even like the idea that some states have implemented of splitting
> up their electoral
> votes according to what percentage of the state's vote each
> candidate got (i.e. a state that had 5 votes and went 40/60 on the popular
> vote would split
> the votes 2/3 between the two candidates).  It has the same problem in the
> event of a close
> national race.  Its much better to only have to wrangle about one
> or two states - although until someone pulls off another Reagan style
> landslide, you're
> pretty much guaranteed to have at least minor bickering over a state or
> two after every election.

It just seems to me that the Electoral College goes against the spirit
of a democratic society. "Of the people, for the people, by the people."
Yes, it could lead to problems, but with careful consideration of what
% above your opponent you get at the end of the night it would make
things more fair IMO. Having a 1 recount rule would also cut down
on dragging proceedings on. For example when popular vote was
shown today Bush had won by 3.5 million voters. It should never have
been questioned how important Ohio or Florida was because the people
spoke up and said we want W to represent our country. Something
has to be done to get rid of all the unnecessary crap involved with our
voting system.

> On an unrelated note, are you in the WoW Stress test right now?  And if
> so, which server are you on?

Nah, I played in the Closed Beta at a friends house,
then on my own in the Stress test. I'm waiting for
Monday to join in the Open Beta. I still need to go
pre-order my WoW Collectors Edition, but I've been
pretty damn lazy about it. Hoping blizz gets the new patch
out soon because I want to see the rest of the racial traits
and class talents. If you're in FST let me know and when
OB happens I'll join your server and we'll cause some
havoc.

--------------------------
Bear "replicant" Powell

"Be resolute, fear no sacrifice and surmount every
 difficulty to win victory." - Chairman Mao Tse Tung

***Currently Playing***
Counter Strike: Source (PC - Steam Online)
"I'm addicted and I suck at this game. >_<!"

***Future MMORPG Prospects***
World of Warcraft (PC) - Fun
Everquest 2 (PC) - Immersive
Wish (PC) - Huge Potential