[tenchi:105581] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105581] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the majority of US Voters.
date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:04:24 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> From: Michael Borgwardt <brazil@brazils-animeland.de>
To: tenchi@usagi.org
Subject: [tenchi:105579] Re: <OT> I have completely lost faith in the  majority of
US Voters.
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:29:36 +0100 (CET)

> Actually, if done right, such a system prevents "close race" messes
> pretty effectively, by making smaller parties matter. Added bonus: the
> "Republicrat" syndrome would diminish. Of course, that's exactly the
> reason why it will never happen.

*shrug*

Every time someone brings up the idea that parties outside the big two should be more
important, I'm reminded of Israel, and the way that small parties far outside the
mainstream are able to have power far beyond what their representation in the
Knesset would suggest.  The reason?  The Prime Minister has to build a ruling coalition,
and the two major parties never have enough votes to build a coalition without bringing
in the little guys.  And you end up with some extreme groups having a
larger voice than they should.

Also, given the way that the elections for the Executive (President) work in the US,
I don't know that it would have the effect that you think it would.  All that a small
party would do is take votes from one candidate or the other, similar to the
claimed effects of Perot in '92, or Nader in '00.  Its an all or nothing system.

That's not to say that the system isn't completely exclusionary.  If a party's presidential
candidate can capture a certain percentage of the popular vote, then they'll be added
to the next election season's presidential debates.  iirc, Perot managed
to pull that off in '92.  But I don't really see how changing from an electoral college
to a popular vote would make things easier for a third party candidate.

junior

--

Search field Search string

archive list