[tenchi:105536] Re: After watching GXP

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105536] Re: After watching GXP
date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:10:19 -0500
----- Original Message -----
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 7:41:09 -0600
To: <tenchi@usagi.org>
Subject: [tenchi:105535] Re: After watching GXP

> > Maybe I can get this post to go through...I have had much trouble getting
> > posts through to this list for several months. (Poster also cc'd)
>
> I don't think it works - have you tried asking Hitoshi for help?

Yeah, Hitoshi got my posting problems fixed.  ^_^

> > >- GXP is a horrible chaivinist wish-fulfillment - women exist
> >  > mainly to fawn over men.
> >
> > As a woman, I never saw the series that way. Yes, there's Seina and his
> > harem....but the series also shows that women run the universe, or at least the

> > important parts of it. The trio of older women - Airi, Seto, and Mikami - aren't

> > fawning over anyone, and they're running the most important institutions in
> > the galaxy between them.
>
> OK, those three are exceptions, though Airi does come close to fawning
> over Seina. Seto is just exceptional.

Airi does fawn over her own grandson though.

> But what irked me was not just Seina's harem - though that is bad enough
> since unlike Ryoko and Aeka's affection for Tenchi, there really isn't
> a visible *reason* why all those women would turn into lovesick
> 12-year-olds over him. It's not really compatible with their normal
> characters.

Actually, I believe Seina is 14.  Still, why would such women fawn over Seina?  Because
the Japanese think it is funny.  In some ways, GXP is a parody of TM!R, taking the
harem aspects to the extreme.  They took this over the top on purpose.  My
problem was with the excessive fanservice rather than the fawning.

> The real problem is with all the *other* minor female characters that
> exist solely to be draped scantily-clad in groups over men - and *like*
> it. Namely, the four servants that Seto occasionally sics on Seina,
> and numerous pirate girls seen around Daruma, Seiryou and the Ryoko
> fanboys during the Kouun-kantai story arc.

The pirates are easily understood.  After all, many men with power have no trouble
finding women willing to be used in such a manner.  The richer (and more powerful)
you are, the more women you can get (and the uglier & fatter you can be).

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The bit with Ryoko makes sense as well.  Its not hard to watch people turn to goo
when presented with an attractive celebrity of the opposite sex (and Ryoko's apparently
a pirate ship captain with the looks of a super model).  As for the servant
girls...  uh...  no comment at this time.

But yeah, it is a bit excessive.  Its not really disturbing, though, at least imo.
Although I often do end up wondering about some of it.  As mentioned, its the fanservice
that I find annoying.  Only in episode 11(?) when we find out Ryoko's secret
does it really seem to blend well into the episode (also, incidentally, the only episode
where I don't mind the presence of NB).  Otherwise, it generally detracts from the
story and annoys me more than anything else.

junior

--

Search field Search string

archive list