[tenchi:105389] Re: True Tenchi/3rd OVA Questions abound!

to tenchi@usagi.org
from Schobronics <Schobronics@web.de>
subject [tenchi:105389] Re: True Tenchi/3rd OVA Questions abound!
date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 01:24:00 +0200
AstroNerdBoy <usr1054@astronerdboy.com> wrote:

>In regards to the ring, is there any material that states its purpose?  For me, the
ring was simply something to give Tenchi some clothes, specifically Juraian Battle
Garb (TM) like that worn by Aeka.  I would guess the battle garb has some importance

>if Aeka changed into it, but what, I don't know.
>
>I've often thought this was Kajishima's way of answering the question, "Where'd Tenchi
get those clothes in episode 6?"  So he had a scene in episode 7 where Tenchi has
a wooden ring, accidently activates it, "transforms", then Ryu-oh's seed
>convienently pops out so that Ryu-oh can be reborn.  :-)

He tends to come up with weird explanations when someone finds errors in
the story, that's true. ^_^

>However, you do bring up an interesting item.  The ring is apparently crafted from
a part of Tsunami-ki.  If this is true and assuming that Sasami's key in episode 2
is also from Tsunami, then Tsunami is capable of giving out powerful artifacts from

>herself to those important to her.  So it is still possible that Tenchi-ken is a
creation of Tsunami's.

It is. Some things we know about Tenchi-ken seem to strongly indicate
that.

>I think it has been clearly established that Tenchi-ken is not Funaho-ki's key in
light of the fact that Azusa had it in his battle with Kagato and Ryoko YEARS before
Yosho was born and partnered with Funahi-ki.  So, what do we know?

See my theorie about that.

>1) Who created Tenchi-ken?

Obviously not Funaho-ki, because Tenchi-ken was around a longer time.

>2) Why is it named "Tenchi"?

Who knows?

>3) Why is it apparently being passed down from person to person?

Regarding Kagato it is a symbol of rulership.

>I feel that all three of these questions are related.
>
>True Sheol stated he didn't think that Tenchi-ken is Tsunami's key.

I don't think so either. Why should Tsunami give something as powerful
as that away? I can imagine Sasami having something like that, but only
because of her very special relation with Tsunami.

>Sasami is not partnered with Ryu-oh, and until she and Tsunami are one, Sasami couldn't
control Ryu-oh without something.

Sasami had some sort of Key for Ryu-Oh, but that could be just something
Aeka gave her.

>Only partners of trees are given keys to that tree.  Thus, if Sasami had
>a key that overrode Aeka's commands, it must be a master key.

IIRC Sasami never overrode a direct command from Aeka.

>Since Sasami is officially partnered with Tsunami-ki, it is reasonable
>to assume that the key is from Tsunami.  I don't think that can be
>argued.

But it can. ^_^
I can't recall a bonding ceremony between Sasami and Tsunami-ki. Instead
the girl and goddess assimilated. Since Sasami and Tsunami are (getting)
the same now she would have no use for a key (to control herself?).

>So, who could have created such a master key?
>
>There's only one tree more powerful than any of the 1st-generation trees.  There's
only one tree who would have command over all 1st-generation trees -- Tsunami.  Thus
to me, it seems logical that Tenchi-ken is a creation of Tsunami.

True, if Tenchi-ken has power over all 1st gen trees. I'm not really sure
about that.

>Does this mean that Tenchi-ken is Tsunami's key?

No. Not everything Tsunami creates is a key to Tsunami-ki. I see no
reason for the existance of a key to Tsunami-ki at all, only reasons
against ever creating something powerful like that...

>So if she is the creator of Tenchi-ken, why would she do this?

As a tool for the Emperor of Jurai. With this he can control all trees
but not Tsunami, which means absolute but not godlike power.

>Allow me to quote True Sheol's post on Tsunami's purpose:

[..]

>In light of not seeing this information (I don't recall True Sheol ever stating,
but I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong), I look to Tenchi-ken.  If Tsunami gave
Tenchi-ken to the first Emperor as a sign that she and her trees would protect his

>family (the Masaki family BTW), not to mention Jurai, then it would be a pledge to
the rulers of Jurai of Tsunami's promise.  That would explain why Azusa had it.  Once
he was partnered with a 1st-generation tree (an EXTREMELY rare occurance), Azusa
>would be (and was) the automatic canidate to be next ruler of Jurai and would have
the inside track.  After all, if a 1st-gen tree is going to partner with you, you
are all but a shoo-in.

>If Tenchi-ken is an heirloom to rulers of Jurai or those with 1st-gen trees (who
would be assumed the next rulers of Jurai), it would make sense that Azusa would be
given Tenchi-ken.  Tenchi-ken's acceptance of Azusa would be just another confirmation

>of his being the successor to the throne.  Then Azusa armed with Tenchi-ken goes
on his Warrior's Journey.

>When Yosho was partnered with a 1st-generation tree Funaho-ki, Yosho became the immediate
apparent successor to the throne of Jurai, thus Yosho is given Tenchi-ken.  Much as
with Azusa before, Yosho goes on his own journey (first to the Academy, then
>following Ryoko to Earth).  Seven hundred years later, Yosho decides that Tenchi
is the one who will next own Tenchi-ken even though Tenchi will have no tree and with
Tenchi-ken in Tenchi's possession, Tenchi will be the prime canidate to be the next

>ruler of Jurai.

That almost identival with my theory. Cool. ^_^

>These are my LENGTHY thoughts on the subject.  I'm not saying I'm right.

Who can other than K-san? At the very least it makes sense.

Ja
Christian "Schobronics" Schober
--
http://www.animexx.de                            schobronics@animexx.de
Animexx Cofounder - DFFML admin - Member of ANT #SAS# & Fried Ant Anime

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs