[tenchi:105300] Re: True Tenchi/3rd OVA Questions abound!

to tenchi@usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject [tenchi:105300] Re: True Tenchi/3rd OVA Questions abound!
date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:56:14 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> From: nik <silvourbolt@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:33:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: tenchi@ML.usagi.org
Subject: [tenchi:105297] True Tenchi/3rd OVA Questions abound!

I know a bunch of the old-timers have this straight, but there are a few questions
I'm
not so sure about:

1.  Was Yosho secretly sent off to study with the GP?  Is this where he met Airi?

He went to the Royal Academy.  Later, the name of it was changed to the Galaxy Academy,
which is what its called today.  And this is indeed where he met Airi.

2.  Did Yosho actually marry Airi?  Why did he leave her?

He didn't marry her while at the Academy.  Jurai was at war with Airi's nation, and
while Seto was apparently secretly in favor of the match, others back home were not.
I think its all but stated in GXP that there was a marriage before the birth of
Tenchi's mother, Kiyone.  iirc, Yosho was recalled to Jurai, at least partly to end
his relationship with Airi.  I believe Airi was also a high priestess for her people
at the time, and thus a fairly important figure politically.

3.  Did Yosho know that Airi was pregnant when he left?  What happened to Mizuho (their

daughter)?

I don't know whether or not he knew about Airi's pregnancy when he left.  iirc, Mizuho
is the woman we see briefly on board Seto's ship in GXP episode 3, and currently serves
as one of Seto's aides.

4.  When did this affair happen?

The affair was while he was at the Academy.  After he left, it ended for a while,
but at some point after the death of Yosho's first wife on Earth, the two got back
in touch and were married.  iirc, Seto had a hand in getting them in touch.

5.  Did Airi know who Yosho was at the time?

Yes.

6.  Was Azusa's father emperor?  If not, who was emperor before Azusa?

iirc, Azusa's father was never emperor, and Azusa's parents may have run away from
their responsibility to Jurai.  They're currently both members of the Galaxy Police
and have a brief cameo in one of the later episodes of GXP.

7.  If Misaki is Seto's daughter, why isn't Misaki's last name "Kamiki"?

Changed it to Masaki when she was married?  Dunno...

8.  What were the circumstances that led to Azusa marrying Misaki after he wed Funaho?

Did Seto arrange this marriage?

Politics.  It linked Seto closely with the throne.  She personally has tremendous
political influence, but she is a foreigner who married into Jurai.  Its thus easier
for her to cement her ties to the throne by marrying her daughter to the Emperor
than actually taking the throne herself.  And besides, she probably enjoys her current
position more than she would if she were Empress.  And given Seto's habit of setting
up marriages, it would be well-nigh impossible to believe that she didn't have
a hand in it - even if we didn't already know that she did.

9.  When did Jurai find out that Yosho was on Earth?  Why is everyone so surprised
find out he is on Earth in episode 13 if so many Juraians came to Kiyone's wake and

funeral?

Nothing in episode 13 seems to suggest (to me, at any rate) that Yosho's own family
didn't know where he was (with the exception of Aeka and Sasami, of course).  The
conversation with his mother suggests that they were more or less content to quietly

monitor things such as Ryoko's release.  It was only the realization that

a.)  Ryoko was theoretically as powerful as Tenchi, and
b.)  Ryoko's creator was free and could conceivably create more Ryokos - possibly
for a hostile power

that prompted the visit by the Royal Family.

If anything, it would seem to me that those members of the Royal Family in the know
would want to keep his location a relative secret.  After all, Yosho was playing hooky
from his responsibility (since he refuses to act as heir to Azusa - which is a
potential embarassment to Azusa), and he was also keeping watch over one of Jurai's
most dangerous opponents.  If anyone other than Tenchi had released Ryoko, things
probably would have gone very badly.  Thus, officially, Yosho was "missing".

10.  Isn't it true that everyone who owns a royal tree has SOME Juraian blood in them?

(If you discount the ones whose origins are a mystery)

Seto is Jurain by marriage only.  Seina may or may not have Jurain blood if you go
back far enough, but since we don't know...  Also, in GXP, we learn that Tsunami gave
a couple of seeds to explorers that found her long before she met Jurai.  Seina
has one of these.  Best guess is that Tsunami sets general guidelines for her trees/seeds,
and then the trees get to excercise their own discretion within those guidelines.

11.  Who are the other royal families?  Masaki, Kamiki, Amaki, etc...
12.  How old is Tenchi's sister?

Hope that all helps

junior

--