Re: OT: What's a prefecture exactly?

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Washu2OOOO@aol.com
subject Re: OT: What's a prefecture exactly?
date Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:43:21 EDT

cuso4@cuso4.com writes:

> 47 administrative areas of Japan :
> 1-to 1-do 2-fu 43-ken.
Ah, I knew that it was Tokyo-to, and the regular ones were just -ken, and I
was pretty sure of the 4 special ones, so I just used what the article said.
^~^

> "To", i.e., Tokyo-to, is the capital, not metropolitan
> (although they use the same kanji).
Ah, THAT "to". I can't remember seeing Tokyo-to in kanji, but it makes sense.
Same one as in Kyoto, right? *checks* Yep.

> The 2 "Fu" is for the 2 capitals of acient Japan :
> Osaka-fu and Kyoto-fu.
Why don't Nara and Kamakura get distinctions? I guess I can understand
Kamakura, but why does Nara get left in with the riffraff -ken? ^^

-Robert Staubs (Nekokaze, Mizuho Rakai)
AIM: Washu2oooo   Email: Washu2oooo@aol.com
"PHYSICS MADE EASY
Today's lesson is 'Time.'
Imagine a donut fired from a cannon at the speed of light while rotating.
Time is like that, except without the cannon and the donut." - Dilbert

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs