Re: OVA 3

to <tenchi@ml.usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>
subject Re: OVA 3
date Tue, 5 Aug 2003 00:56:32 +0800
> From: "Gregory Himes" <gdhimes@yahoo.com>
> --- 'CuSO4' Yung <cuso4@cuso4.com> wrote:
> > FYI, Amazon JP is offering a 15% discount:
>
> Sadly, unless you live in Japan, their discount does not offset the
> extra shipping and handling (not really their fault).  My shipment is
> still cheaper through Amotokyo, than it would be through Amazon.jp.

First, AMO Tokyo is in Tokyo.  For express shipping, AMO Tokyo
uses EMS, while Amazon Japan uses DHL (24 hours delivery).

Amazon Japan:
DVD cost 4080 yen after 15% discount.  Assuming you buy only
this item, and assuming you are shipping to an US address.
* DVD + Economy shipping = 4080+600+300 = 4980 yen = USD 41.37
* DVD + Express Shipping = 4080+1700+300 = 6080 yen = USD 50.50

AMO Tokyo:
Same assumption.  DVD cost USD 43.09.
* DVD + Express Shipping = USD 43.09+10 = USD 53.09

I do not see how AMO Tokyo is cheaper.  15% discount
is significant.  Amazon Japan only offers 15% discount
to new release, or new pre-order items.  E.g. Nausicaa.

> I've also had very good experiences with Amotokyo (all the GXP DVDs,
> soundtracks).

Me too.  I have also ordered from AMO Tokyo.  Their main
advantage is that they are willing to order those "limited,
by reservation only" DVD.

Amazon Japan offers larger range of titles and products,
and offer new release DVD discount, and occassionally
special discount.  You also gain points on special
period of time, which can be used to purchase stuff
in lieu of money.

For buying popular magazines, I recommend using Fujisan.
http://www.fujisan.com/  (Fujisan.co.jp is better, but
you need to know a little bit Japanese).

For rare or hard to find magazine, I recommend using FromJP.
http://www.fromjp.com/

My opinion only, YMMV.

--
'CuSO4' Yung