Re: AX 2003 Meet and Funimation Panel

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: AX 2003 Meet and Funimation Panel
date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:00:16 -0700
Andy Sze (The Pimpingest) wrote:
> Pioneer will not be releasing OVA 3?
>
> sorry for being out of the loop.

This apparently came up at the Pioneer panel, and it seems unlikely that
they'll get it. Based on what tenchiken has previously told us (the
court battle with AIC over Tenchi, for example), it never seemed too
likely that Pioneer LDC was going to pay for AIC to create OVA 3, and
PLDC's involvement in Tenchi was Pioneer USA's main advantage in
licensing Tenchi from AIC.

When we found out that VAP was paying for Tenchi GXP and OVA 3, Pioneer
seemed even less likely. When it was announced that Funimation had
licensed GXP (I wonder if they were the first company AIC approached due
to their licensing Blue Gender?), Pioneer started to seem like a remote
possibility at best. At this point, I'm assuming that Funimation's GXP
license came with an option for OVA 3, and I'd be stunned if they
decided not to exercise such an option. OTOH...I suppose it might be
possible for Funimation to license OVA 3, then sublicense it to Pioneer
for actual localization and DVD production. Still, "possible" and
"likely" are nowhere near the same thing.

So when Pioneer says at AX that they don't currently hold the rights to
OVA 3, well...I don't start holding my breath.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=74

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list