Re: n e word? and Pioneer and Chobits

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from "Vincent Bashaw" <v_bashaw@hotmail.com>
subject Re: n e word? and Pioneer and Chobits
date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:19:52 -0800

Member of AFC, #SAS#, KOME, #WASHU#, TMML, RFFC, publisher/writer of the
Songs in the Key of Life Newsletter, writer of the fanfic series, "Strange
Days" and "The Possiblilities Are Endless," and Member of the Sailor Pluto
RPG (Ryoko).
"I like girls, especially between the ages of seventeen and eighteen."
W.C.Fields
"I Hoo, Tinfoil, Away!" Daffy Duck
"Don't Shoot Me, I'm just the Piano Player." Elton John.

>From: Gregory Himes <gdhimes@yahoo.com>

>And as a last comment to this one item...
>Pioneer pretty much botched a lot of things on the Chobits first DVD...

I got the Chobits first DVD too.

>1. I didn't like the dub voices (unlike the Tenchi cast, the Chobits cast
>pretty much didn't match the characters).

I thought C. Freemen did a good job as the farmer's son although as a person
raised on a farm, I found the character just a little too shy and dumb. I
mean farm animals have a really letting a person know about
the-birds-and-the-bees and farmers do send their children to school. I know
its the country boy coming to a big city that CLAMP is doing here but this
is a little too much.

>2. The fansubs were more accurate on critical things...  Bad things like
>when Chi is "going shopping," she constantly says "panties" over and over,
>and that IS what she says...  however the sub says, "underwear", and the
>dub vocal is "underpants." Neither fit (and there
was no need for the change).  This occurs in several places.

Actually this is an attempt to underline the joke that is trying to be made
here. Chi was told to buy pantsu (men's briefs) instead of pantu (women
panties) and she did. Once more we have Hendaki the butt of jokes by CLAMP.

>Sadly, I'm still far from being anything but a gaijin, and don't know
>enough to be certain if this is happening on the other 3/4 of the material
>I can't understand by ear.

From the first four episodes, Pioneer is trying very hard to carry over the
cultural jokes into the dubb.

And somehow Pioneer managed to not realize there are two "i"s in Chii, here
name is clearly represented by TWO kana, not one.  At least they aren't
calling Sumomo, Plum.  Her name in the Anime is represented with Kana, I
just don't know if it is kana only in the manga...  gotta find a copy or two
or all eight...  At least there are two dual language volumes out in Japan.
Now if I can only get my hands on the limited edition manga with Chii figure
for 2500yen.

>This laxness all of a sudden on Pioneer's part, really worries me, because
>this is where they used to do the best.

I don't think Pioneer is being laxy here. Both Chobits and I ME ME
Strawberry Eggs are both attempts to tie the dub more closely with the
original Nihongo script.

This is now a reason I want funimation to do the new OVAs, if they can get
the original dub cast... (hey, I watch it both ways, and even raw
sometimes).

I wonder who is going to do Mamalade Boy. I got hold of a fansub of the
whole series for $20.00 and its was great, a real romance with a lot of teen
angst.

Horosha

Search field Search string

archive list