Re: (OT) Japanese word

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: (OT) Japanese word
date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:23:29 -0800
Ranma3434@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, I seem to remeber a while back a word in the Japanese language used to
> describe the next generation(teens) that when translated means something
akin

> to calling them a new species.  Does anyone know just what that word is?  If
> not then what's the word for youth and/or rebelious youth?

I'd heard of the term "shinjinrui" (new humans), though I don't know if
that's what you're talking about...the description I found is:

Shinjinrui (new humans)
Young people whose bold, unfettered behavior and ideas took by surprise
the elder generations. Pairs with kyjinrui (old humans). [1985/86]

(from http://www.jandodd.com/japan/glossary3.htm#s ). According to the
entry, the word first became popular (at least in the media) around 1985
or 1986.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list